FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video quality loss when importing into MC5.5 in PC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nydia Marsella
Video quality loss when importing into MC5.5 in PC
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:53:22 am

Hi All,
I'm a newbie PC Avid chick. Please don't hold that against me. :) Hoping someone can help me out. Been experiencing serious video quality loss when importing video clips to MC5. They look great outside of avid (in VLC, windows media, etc.), but once I import them they look dull and washed out.

Original format of files is MTS from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10. Been using Prisma video file converter to convert to MOV. They all look good outside avid. Quality loss is even worse when importing VOB files that were ripped from a DVD.

In "media creation," I've tried resolution AVC-Intra 100 MXF & DNxHD120 MXF. Also tried setting project type in 'Format" to 1080i/50 as well as 720p/25. Have also tried converting files into AVI, but avid won't recognize them in AVI format.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer. :)

Nydia

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video quality loss when importing into MC5.5 in PC
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:47:17 am

[Nydia Marsella] "Been using Prisma video file converter to convert to MOV."

Don't. Use AMA to access the media, then transcode to DNxHD. Right now you are converting, then converting. TWO steps.

[Nydia Marsella] "Quality loss is even worse when importing VOB files that were ripped from a DVD."

Well, YEAH! DVD is highly compressed as it stands. Then you rip it (compress), and then import into Avid (compress). Ripping DVD's is never the best quality.

Also..note that the editing interface in Avid is FAR from quality accurate. It lightens the image a lot. It's only there to show you what you have to edit...it isn't designed to show you actual quality. That's what the IO card and HDTV or broadcast Monitor are for.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nydia Marsella
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:47:59 am

Thanks so much, Shane. I used AMA, per your suggestion. Looks better. Should I transcode to DNxHD 60, 90, or 90x?

The DVD files look pretty good outside avid. Is there a specific way to import DVD files into avid so that it loses the least amount of quality?

Thanks again. Much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:14:17 am

[Nydia Marsella] "Should I transcode to DNxHD 60, 90, or 90x?"

Well, the higher the number, the higher the data rate. And the X means 10-bit opposed to 8-bit. It all depends on you, and how much storage you have. Personally, I'd go with the highest option I could.

[Nydia Marsella] "The DVD files look pretty good outside avid. Is there a specific way to import DVD files into avid so that it loses the least amount of quality?"

MPEG STREAMCLIP. Encode as an Avid codec. Hmmm...but which one for SD? 2:1? Then you AMA into Avid, and Consolidate. To be honest, I haven't imported DVDs into Avid...i've captured them via Avid hardware. I've been using FCP for a while and had been encoding DVDs for use with it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:15:18 am

Wait...MPEG STREAMCLIP is Mac only. Gah!

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:30:37 am

Ahhh no it's not. It's cross platform!

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>