FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 License Control problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Byrd
MC6 License Control problem
on Jun 6, 2012 at 9:30:48 pm

I did something stupid that caused Media Composer to crash. When I attempted to re open the program, I got the activation screen we see when running the first time after an install. I clicked 'continue' and got a message advising "Avid License Control was not initialized properly." After a few tries, Avid loaded and worked well for hours. But when shutting the application and then returning a few minutes later, I can't get it to open. Same issue.

Will a reinstall of Media Composer with its license control feature solve the problem?

I'm running on a PC, intel i7 processor, 32gigs memory.

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
Re: MC6 License Control problem
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:56:13 pm

If you are getting the "Avid License Control was not initialized properly" error, you will likely have to call AVID for license support. License support is free, albiet a pain, but free. 1-800-800-AVID.

A re-install will not fix that as the license files have likely gotten corrupted.

If nothing has changed with your network adapters, you may be able to get away with simply deleting the License files.

The location of the files will depend on your Windows version. If you are on MC6, I am assuming you are running Win7 64-bit. If that is the case, look in the C:\ProgramData\Avid\Licenses\SWL folder and move the files to another location on your hard drive, like the desktop or a folder in your My Documents folder. Do the same for the files in the C:\ProgramData\Avid\Licenses\Pro_Editor folder.

If the files are simply corrupt and nothing has changed with your network adapters or settings, then you should be able to launch ALC and re-enter your System ID and Activation code. IF that doesn't work, you will have to get AVID to reset your activation on their license server.

I had to do this enough times that I converted to a dongle.

Cheers,

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Phillip Byrd
on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:04:19 pm

Thanks Ben.

I've tracked the problem to my network situation. I'm using a wireless USB adapter to connect to our in-house network. When the USB thingie is connected, Avid loads just fine. When it is not connected, I get the clanging and warning about license control. In other words, USB wireless adapter has become my dongle.

A call to Avid is coming soon.

Thanks again.

--------------------
Phillip Byrd
Brandenburg Productions, Inc.
Montclair, NJ USA

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
on Jun 11, 2012 at 12:52:41 pm

In practice that is how it works out. In reality it's the USB wireless NIC that is setting the hardware ID for the software activation to use. When it's not plugged in, the hardware ID for the computer changes to a different NIC that is either a builtin NIC or an addin card. Any change to the network configuration will change the hardware ID.

You can change which NIC the license is attached by using ALC to deactivate the license. Then unplug the USB wireless and re-activate the software.

That should eliminate you need to have the USB dongle plugged in. If you don't have a hardwired network connection, there is a procedure for using a different computer to activate.

The builtin wireless on my laptop would occassionally be re-installed by windows and I would have to call AVID to get them to de-activate my license. I finally found a dongle I could use to transfer my license to a dongle.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]