FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA & Autosync

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Hrycyk
AMA & Autosync
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:11:55 pm

Is it possible to Autosync by TC to an AMA'd clip?
MC v6.0.1, Red Epic 5k ftg. Matching TC.

Try to Autosync and get this message, 'Exception:Auto_Comp_No_Sync'!
If I assign a 'source' by modifying the clip, then I can Autosync the modified clip but the resulting subclip is stretched vertically and gamma/brightness/contrast levels are all screwed up.

If I then transcode the synced subclip it returns to normal, no v stretch and normal levels.

If I consolidate the synced subclip, the consolidated clip looks like the modified clip, stretched and messed up levels.

Thoughts/ideas anyone?

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: AMA & Autosync
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:40:12 pm

I've escalated a bug that my AE found, where AutoSync would fail when the source clips had an audio track. After subclipping V-only, the problems went away.

As for the difference in how the synced clips look, check the Reformat options (in the bin Column named Reformat).

Return to posts index

Nick Hrycyk
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:49:35 pm

Subclipping w/o audio does allow autosync to work, plus it does not reformat nor screw with the levels.

Modifying the clip to remove the audio tracks or modifying the clip to add a 'Source' also allows autosync to work, but reformats and screw up the levels. Setting source-side settings back to 'Camera Metadata' fixes the levels, but pix is still stretched, probably because 2.35:1 is not a recognized 'format' for Avid.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Job.

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

Nick Hrycyk
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:52:58 pm

So if you want to 'Autosync' with the least amount of hassle and keystrokes/clicks 'modifying' and adding a 'source' appears to be quickest with the least harmful effects, Especially if you're going to do a transcode anyhow.

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jun 7, 2012 at 3:15:52 pm

I had a similar issue recently, where I was using autosync to marry my multitrack audio to my cameras, as I had two field recorders. In any event, Camera A autosynced to Audio Recorder A, Camera B autosynced to Audio Recorder B. I was able to autosync, but once I took those autosynced subclips and attempted to multigroup, I got that obnoxious "Auto_Comp_No_Sync" error. The only solution I could find was to multigroup the master clips, rather than the autosynced clips. It means I'll have to manually match multitrack audio for my editors if they need it later. Boo.

Nick, since you mentioned adding a source, where you autosyncing imported clips such as DSLR or GoPro? My video sources were XDCAM (consolidated Mpeg-4 proxies) with a tape name added, and likewise the metadata of the audio recorder assigns it a tape name within the Avid. Strange indeed.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Nick Hrycyk
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:50:10 am

Richard, sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a bit. My footsge was AMA'd Red Epic w/2 audio tracks and Diva audio files w/ 3 tracks. As mentioned, subclipping the audio tracks off of the AMA stuff worked, as did modifying the AMA'd clips to add 'tape name'. The 'modifying' route allows me to do cards as opposed to individual clips so is therefor faster and I don't believe will cause any issues down the road.

Nick Hrycyk
Bluefish Post

Return to posts index

Daniel Dietzel
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:43:20 pm

I don't know if anyone will get this message but I'll try here before posting a new thread...

I'm having this problem but am unsure of how to subclip the AMA files without audio properly.

Do you mean to bring the clip into a sequence and then remove the audio and create a new subclip from the sequence or is there another method I don't know?

I am currently with around 8 hours of red footage that has no in camera audio and am desperate to get it synced somehow without having to try to do it manually.

Please help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]