FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC Symphony 6 on Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Clarendon
MC Symphony 6 on Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz
on May 31, 2012 at 1:25:52 pm

About to buy this from Avid along with new MBP. Problem is most of the 15" out there are only slightly faster than the 2.3 ghz avid requirement for mac laptops.

3 questions: is a new 2.4 MBP going to be quickly obsolete on the next version of MC in the next year or two? Theres not a lot of breathing room from 2.3 to 2.4.....

Also, with no pci port, is it ever going to be possible to trick this thing out with full Avid Hardware or is that only possible on a Mac Pro?

Lastly, even if I stay software only symphony, any performance issues I should expect/drive recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MC Symphony 6 on Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz
on May 31, 2012 at 6:55:06 pm

[Steve Clarendon] " About to buy this from Avid along with new MBP"

WAIT!! New MBPs are set to be announced June 11, at WWDC. Wait until then to buy.

[Steve Clarendon] "is a new 2.4 MBP going to be quickly obsolete on the next version of MC in the next year or two?"

I wouldn't think so. I was able to run MC5.5 on my 3 year old MBP just fine. Symphony 6 even works. But then the LCD died, so I'm in the market for a new lappy. But I am waiting until June 11.

[Steve Clarendon] "with no pci port, is it ever going to be possible to trick this thing out with full Avid Hardware or is that only possible on a Mac Pro?"

The MOJO DX works with laptops with Express34 slots. Currently that is only the current 17" MBP, and a few older 15" models. No Avid hardware has Thunderbolt support. But there are many AJA and BMD products that do, and they work with Avid MC6 and Symphony 6.

[Steve Clarendon] "even if I stay software only symphony, any performance issues I should expect/drive recommendations?"

Works great without hardware. Get Thunderbolt or Firewire 800 drives. The faster the better.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Jun 6, 2012 at 9:37:33 pm

Thanks Shane. Huge help. In looking over sys req specs for MBP, initially it says minimum equals 2.33 ghz intel duo's. Dig up the pdf it says you can go back as far as 2.0 ghz if their quad cores. Question is, what do you think I should be looking at for running streams of avid dnx 145 video in the timeline off tunderbolt drives? Quad cores?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 7, 2012 at 7:43:34 pm

Multiple streams of video playback is tied to DRIVE SPEED and connectivity, not processor speed. You need fast drives connected via fast connections (eSATA, SAS, Fibre) to get lots of playback. FW800 will get you 2-3 streams...max.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Jun 8, 2012 at 12:06:46 am

Thanks Shane. Very helpful. That said, do you have any experience with thunderbolt? Or with Avid Dnx145 on a laptop?

Also, when you say x number of streams, may I assume that this means without rendering? Or is the limitation regardless of render?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:04:20 am

No experience with Thunderbolt yet....going to get a new laptop next week when the new ones are announced. As for DNxHD145 on a laptop, yes, I have done that. With a 2008 MacBook Pro. Worked fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Jun 8, 2012 at 12:11:10 pm

Cool. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:55:24 pm

Hey Warren, is your 2.4 a duo or quad core? I have to upgrade my 2.0 duo as avids minimum spec is 2.33 duo. When I dug a little further, it said a 2.0 quad qualifies.

Im just try to figure out how much to shell out for a new MBP. Am I gonna regret NOT buying one of the new line coming out next week if I buy a newly discounted old line machine?

Again, whole purpose is editing streams of Avid DNx145...

Return to posts index

Steve Clarendon
on Jun 8, 2012 at 5:06:07 pm

Any DNx145 performance issues? Can it handle heavy effects laden timelines, etc.?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]