Hi - i post here a question i asked unsuccessfully on the resolve's forum, because i have been told that it seems to be a problem that Avid's specialist could understand :
"Strange thing when i import in avid the aaf from Resolve. Everything seems to work fine : all the graded mxf are load into my bin. The sequence seems ok but... it is not. When i try to play it the clip are not graded. When i do F6 to see to what media the sequence is connected, i see in the composer that it is to the graded clip. And when i check the name on the timeline and the media location i see that it is to the graded clip created by Resolve. But when i am on my timeline, i see the ungraded clip.... strange isn't it ? ( I am not sure that f you understand my poor english... )
Good graded image on the left side of the composer... bad ungraded image on the right side of the composer ?
Any idea ? Any double way for a sequence to be relinked ?
Yes i tried the type of relink but get the answer : "No clip.... "
The strange thing is that when i do F6 "Match frame" the graded clip from resolve is load into the viewer... This is the proof that my sequence is relinked to the media from resolve isn't it ? I must make a mistake somewhere....
Do the source names match when the files are returned from Resolve? As in the value found in the TAPE column? Look at the source names on the original sequence in TAPE and see if they are the same (exactly) when returned.
No they are not matching naturally because my workflow is tapeless. But i have already tried to modify the clip tape name information. The problem is that i cannot change the source tape name for a lot of clip : about 30% of them stay without tape name. The same for the sequence. I try indivudually for each clip : some of them refuse to be modified.
Someone on the Resolve forum gave me a good advice for the next time ( what he called a clerk method ) : put original media and resolve media on different drive and turn the first one offline when importing the second one...
For this project i was in a hurry so i replaced clip manually.
Regardless of tapeless or not, there are still methods to make this work. In file based world, every clip now has its own unique source name whereas tape-based sources could be the same and differentiated by timecode.
Considerations are when using AMA, the source is managed in a "SOURCE FILE" column and every other third party application that is out there puts the source in the TAPE column. A feature to v6 was added to allow relinking of source across SOURCE FILE and TAPE to allow for this. But it still does not work in the case of RED and spanned R3D files as AMA puts the _001 at the end of the filename and everyone else just has the filename without the spanned _001 in it. The relink does not know how to ignore this.
Also, you need to make sure that in Resolve you ensure that the original filename is being used for the source identification. Using embedded does not always work. You need to us "*/%R.%" in the timecode conform options as the string syntax to ensure the entire filename is being used.
Ok - I don t have this project in front of me anymore- so i cannot try what you suggest - but i have another export from Resolve ( to AMC ) planned on Monday so i gonna try again to find an automatic way to relink my sequence...
Thanks again Michael... and you will probably have some news from France next week...