FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to XDCAM422 50MB/s from MC 5.5?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Spencer
Export to XDCAM422 50MB/s from MC 5.5?
on May 23, 2012 at 1:54:20 pm

Hi

Is there any way to export an XDCAM 422 file (might be a quicktime?) form MC 5.5.

I don't mean to get it back onto XDCAM media. I need to create this to put on a hard disc for delivery to a braodcaster.

I also have Squeeze 7, but can't work out how to get that to do it either.

Thanks

Frank

Media Composer 5.5, Win 7
PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Export to XDCAM422 50MB/s from MC 5.5?
on May 23, 2012 at 2:14:13 pm

I do this all the time...its quicker than going straight to disc.

You have to create a virtual XDCam drive on your computer. I have a folder setup of the XDCam structure.
Drag it to a little batch program (only works in windows) This turns your folder structure into a virtual
drive on the computer.

Then launch MC (won't recognize the drive if the program is running when you create the drive)
go output to device, and you will see an XDCam drive ready to use.

After you've output from MC, you can copy the contents of that Virtual Drive to an actual XDCam drive, or
burn to a regular DVD for future use. I do it for commercial runs that don't need to be XDCam yet, but i know broadcasters will be asking for them eventually. Costs me a dollar to keep an Archive of an XDCam disc sitting around.

As for the method of creating the virtual Drive, i found it here.

http://dylanreeve.com/videotv/2011/virtual-xdcam.html

Pay attention to the drive letter you are assigning to your virtual drive...it can't be one that is already on your system. (you may have to edit the batch file to accomplish this)

Also, realize that the drive that is created will have the same name as the actual drive that your folder
structure is sitting on. There doesn't seem to be any way around this.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 23, 2012 at 2:45:34 pm

Thanks Glenn

I'll have a go at this. I need to deliver five programmes to a broadcaster as XDCAM422 files on a hard drive. Are they likely to be able to read these made in this way? I was expecting to have to put them in a Quicktime wrapper to make them more portable.

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 24, 2012 at 12:46:14 am

Sending an OP1a MXF file (the result of this trick) is most common when delivering to broadcasters. Better to avoid QT.

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 24, 2012 at 7:24:58 am

Excellent.

Thank you for that. I will now take another new step along the tapeless workflow.

It just seemed odd using such a strange workaround to make a very mainstream delivery.

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 24, 2012 at 11:38:39 am

That's why in v6 Avid added a 'regular' OP1a MXF export option that does not require you to create this virtual XDCAM disc, and also allows you to name it (like any other export).

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 24, 2012 at 2:11:15 pm

Interesting, i didn't notice that change. (our deliverys are always asking for the actual Disc, but good to know)

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]