FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring MXF From HyperDeck Shuttle 2 To MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
Transferring MXF From HyperDeck Shuttle 2 To MC
on May 17, 2012 at 8:09:38 pm

We've just purchased a Sony PMW-350 and Black Magic HyperDeck (HDS) Shuttle 2. We're also using MC Nitris 5.0 on Win 7 64bit.

Our plan is to use the HDS to do the bulk of our recording thru SDI and also roll the SxS in the 350 as a backup. The latest version of the HDS software supports TC over SDI. So, we will have matching TC on the SxS and HDS clips.

The HDS records in the following formats:
Uncompressed .mov
Avid DNxHD MXF
Avid DNxHD MXF in a .mov wrapper.

I can import the clips from either .mov format as I do from rendered AE projects but the timecode will be lost. My question is how do I get the MXF data from the HDS into an Avid bin and maintain it's TC data? I thought about placing the MXF files in a media folder but there are no master clips to associate the media with in a project. I don't expect there will be a file structure on the HDS to allow AMA import.

Any other avenues to check out?

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Transferring MXF From HyperDeck Shuttle 2 To MC
on May 18, 2012 at 3:51:23 pm

Put the MXF files in a numbered folder under the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree. Start Avid. Go into or create a project. Make a new bin. Go to the desktop and navigate to the numbered folder. You should find that Avid created a file that ends in ".mdb." This is the database file. Drag it directly into the bin. The bin wil populate with master clips for every shot in the folder.

I've never understood why Avid doesn't make this more obvious, as it's by far the simplest way to incorporate new media into an Avid project. And BTW, you can add the media even while Media Composer is already running, because adding a new numbered folder into the directory tree will force a folder rescan by Media Composer and create (or re-create) the database file at any time.

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on May 18, 2012 at 4:34:54 pm

Thanks Mike!

That's awesome info to have. I figured out a work around of putting them in a media folder and then tracking them down in the media tool and dragging to a bin. Your method is far more usable and elegant.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 18, 2012 at 5:51:53 pm

Not to mention the much requested "drag the MXF files directly to the bin and it behaves like a "move" or "copy" (choice) automatically putting them in the right MediaFiles folder while associated the files with the right project and bin at the same time."

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Karin Davidson
on May 18, 2012 at 7:09:02 pm

Where do I find where the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree is?
thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on May 18, 2012 at 9:46:57 pm

It's on the root of each of your media drives. An example from my system is:

Media(Q:)/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1

Return to posts index

Karin Davidson
on May 18, 2012 at 9:55:27 pm

Thanks Mark...
I suppose I don't have a clue because I work in FCP and am using AVID just to import the mxf files from the Shuttle to export them as .mov
So I don't even know how to create a Media Drive in the first place. any ideas where I can look to be able to follow the instructions on this thread?

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on May 18, 2012 at 10:03:43 pm

On the root of a drive other than the OS drive, just make a new folder called Avid MediaFiles. Inside that make a new folder called MXF. Inside that a folder called 1. Put the MXF files from the HDS into the 1 folder. When you launch the Avid, it will scan the drive and build a database (.mdb) for the folder. Then just drag the .mdb file into a bin as described. It should make master clips that are linked to the MXF files.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 22, 2012 at 6:48:58 pm

If you have trouble with this...if you haven't actually used avid to edit anything, just create a project, Ind import the simplest graphic you can find on your box. As soon as avid creates media, it will create that structure for you... and as was said earlier...don't import to your boot drive

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]