basically the problem I've got is that I'm grouping multiple clips (Alexa Footage and WAV audio files) together to sync the sound. There are 2 cameras on shoot.
Here's my problem, let's say I've got all the footage from a days shoot, and I highlight them all and select multigroup, it creates a multigroup file and a bunch of the individually grouped clips.
Now, multiple files have over lapping time codes, so when it's grouping them to each other by time code and I view them in the quad split and bring up the time code view, what's happening is the groups repeat themselves but not always with the same tracks.
Because the clips don't cut or start at the same time, let's say audio track 1 with group with AB, but it only covers half of track B, and Audio track 2 covers video clips B-C. There I have two clips, both with the B track. Imagine that sort of doubling up with all over the place, and on a much larger scale, with hundreds of clips and hours and hours of footage.
Does anybody have any idea how to fix this? Either afterwards, or to stop it from happening?
It sounds like you've been left with a mess to sort out!
I think the way I would approach it would be to start a timeline with the earliest rushes time code as the master TC of the timeline. (Assuming all the rushes have accurate Time Of Day time code).
Lay the first few batches of clips on the time line at the appropriate place, Cam A on V1, Cam B on V2 audio on A1+2, and from that you will have a graphic representation of the way it has been shot, which may give you an idea of how to approach sorting it out.
You'll probably then be able to chose selections of clips to group in a sensible order.
(Or then just use the sync'ed timeline to cut from)
You can use "AutoSequence" to create a timeline of clips where the clips are laid out automatically with source timecode matching record side. Make a timeline for each camera's clips then work it from there by stacking each timeline to compare.
Thanks for the feedback,so I've taken your suggestion and it's worked, we'll ignore my other problems.
So what has worked (for anyone else reading this on the internet!
Is auto sync'ing the video footage, one cam at a time, with the same one group of audio that covers the event/day, this gets rid of any over lapping audio that doesn't match any video from cutting at different times etc, and cleans it up substantially. Then Auto Sequencing the cameras new sync files, seperately i.e. a auto sequence of all the Cam A synced clips, then Cam B etc. So then I can see how they overlap and quickly and easily see what areas are there when there's no grouping needed etc.
Then go back to my synced footage and group them accordingly, where video tracks overlap i.e. mulitcam, two cameras filming the same event/scene, using my auto sequences as a guide. Works pretty well! Except the fact that I've found out some of the time codes are out of sync :'(.
But for that I'm figuring out how many frames out of sync they are, and grouping them with the audio at in points (with the video being marked let's say 8 frames forward then what the time code says), and that groups that footage with the audio, in sync.
So then my bin looks like a mix of grouped synced subclips that the audio was in sync the first time around and it has multiple overlapping video tracks, grouped files where I've grouped them to the audio via inpoints once I figured out how many frames out it was, and sync subclip files that only had one video track so didn't need to be grouped with another cam footage.
All a bit of a mess, and confusing, hope I explained that well to anyone who googles this problem and comes across this.
A mess, complicated, but it worked damn it! It worked!