FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie problem in importing footages into MC6

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ugo Danesi
Newbie problem in importing footages into MC6
on May 17, 2012 at 12:11:09 am

Dear all,
I would like to move from Final Cut Pro 7 to Avid, but I have encountered a serius problem. I am studing the varioius features of Avid and it is strange form FCP.
But my problem is importing footages. I create a new project and when I import footages in QT prores captured with FCP, my Avid system starts to convert into mxf format spending a lot of time. It is possible to use directly prores files. In this manner Avid is not usable: often I have footages in HDV i50 or ProRes one hour long.
I am desperate because I would like do stop usinf FCP but this waste of time is a nightmare.

Thanks in Advance!

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
Re: Newbie problem in importing footages into MC6
on May 17, 2012 at 12:14:05 am

If you are using the latest (or near latest) Avid use AMA import.

That will allow direct usage of prores without converting.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2012 at 1:00:29 am

OK...think about this for a moment. You come from FCP, where everything needed to be converted to ProRes before you could edit. You did that, and because you did that, you seem fine with the process needed to do that.

Same with Avid. Yes, there are many formats that it can deal with natively (P2, Canon XF, some XDCAM formats) because they already are in the MXF format, that Avid uses. Other formats can be accessed via AMA, but not all are suited to editing. Just like H.264 stank in FCP...it stinks in Avid. ProRes might do farther...but still, you should "consolidate" it to ProRes MXF (if you are using MC6 or Symphony 6...MC5.5 doesn't do ProRes MXF). That will be just re-wrapping the ProRes from QT to MXF, and Avid deals with that better. Trying to handle a LOT of footage via AMA only can cause sluggishness. Just like trying to edit non-editing formats in FCP is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 17, 2012 at 6:48:45 pm

I love your opening paragraph. So many people switching from one program to another are willing to overlook the hassle of particular work flows on their old system, because that's how it worked...bu god forbid a different system uses a different work flow, or file type, or shortcut system. Im not specifically talking about FCP users, but any of us that use more than 1 system. I have FCPs, Media Composers and Ds's. I decided long ago to use them as intended for their strengths, rather than mope that it made me do something differently.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ugo Danesi
on May 17, 2012 at 1:02:07 am

I have created a folder onto my desktop with some ProRes File but I am not able to use AMA. If I try to link to AMA Volumes I return the message when I choose my folder onto desktop "Unabele to link to any clips art /Users/VideoStation/Desktop/Prova AMA/

I am using a tiral version. Do i need some missing plugin? Or where I am whrong?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 17, 2012 at 2:50:45 am

Try a folder at the root level of the drive and not on the desktop, just for testing. Also make sure there are no "/" in any of the folder or file names.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 17, 2012 at 6:41:15 pm

Or ama link to files not volume option....then select the individual files. Good way to trouble shoot a bad file.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]