FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV captured in FCP, timecode wrong when imported into Avid, and more...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marc mcdermott
HDV captured in FCP, timecode wrong when imported into Avid, and more...
on May 16, 2012 at 5:00:19 pm

Hi there, can anyone help me? We captured 70 hours of HDV 60i footage using FCP via Sony HVR1500 deck last week. When we bring this into the Avid using AMA we got a weird problem. Firstly there appear to be elements of each previous clip at the beginning of each subsequent one (about 12 frames) and the timecode does not appear to be correct on the ones we spot checked against the master QuickTime movs so far. Has anyone else had experience with this? Any help really appreciated

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: HDV captured in FCP, timecode wrong when imported into Avid, and more...
on May 16, 2012 at 6:04:54 pm

I've experienced this quite a bit with XDCAM HD. In going from offline 8:1m to DNxHD, we noticed certain clips coming in offset. The strange thing was, the pattern by which the clips came in offset was inconsistent, but when the clips were offsets, they were fairly consistently offset by 12 frames. Sometimes 12 frames forward, sometimes 12 frames backward. Ultimately our solution was a very meticulous shot check against an offline video mixdown when going from offline to online.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on May 17, 2012 at 12:11:37 am

Maybe this has something to do with the long GOP structure of HDV and XDCAM? Its probably going to the closest 'I' frame to retrieve the frame info. Just an educated guess.

Return to posts index

marc mcdermott
on May 17, 2012 at 6:46:31 am

I do suspect something to do with the GOP structure myself, but do not understand why it displays fine in both FCP and QuickTime, but the issue arises once ingested to Avid using AMA. It was suggested that FCP was to blame, but I cannot see technically why this would be so.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 17, 2012 at 12:37:50 pm

Like the others, I suspect this is a long GOP issue. Have you tried transcoding a clip to DNXHD to see if it returns to normal?

Return to posts index

marc mcdermott
on May 17, 2012 at 12:52:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far. A straight import into Avid does not have the problem. It's when using AMA that it occurs. The point of employing AMA is to automate as much of this process at the end of the production as possible, when making the online version for grade. The film is a documentary style film using media generated in multiple formats around the world. When I transcoded one of the clips to ProRes the AMA worked fine. but there's a lot of clips across 70 tapes, and they're already captured.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 27, 2012 at 2:52:04 pm

You might want to contact Avid support. They won't fix the problem unless they know about it. Seems like there is an issue with how AMA is dealing with some long GOP material. It might take some cooperation between Avid and the camera manufacturers on the AMA plugins to get to the bottom of it,

Return to posts index

marc mcdermott
on May 27, 2012 at 10:04:48 pm

Thanks for that - I'll do that first thing tomorrow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]