FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 or Symphony

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Davis
MC6 or Symphony
on May 14, 2012 at 4:06:51 pm

Hi all,

I used to online and grade on Symphony in a post house for about 10 years.
I then went out on my own and went FCP and recently full version Resolve. I now want to return to Avid
as I see X as a backward step. What's prompting me now is I have a series coming up cut on Avid.
It seem to me that MC6 is the better option because I think it will be supported long into the future and grow. I am a bit confused as to what the game is with Symphony. Are they just trying to sell as many as
they can tempting us with Boris and then eventually dropping it? And if so would we have to stump up
for MC6?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Danny.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: MC6 or Symphony
on May 14, 2012 at 4:22:33 pm

I'm sure they're trying to get more Symphony systems into the wild so they have more people buying upgrades, etc..., which gives them more R&D dollars to improve Symphony.

Will Symphony go away? Who knows. But when I bought Avid a month ago I went straight for the Symphony crossgrade - it's compatible with Media Composer and is identical to it in every way except I had a better color correction toolset and comes with the Boris BCC plugins. No reason to spend the same amount for Media Composer and end up with less plugins and an inferior color grading toolset.

If Symphony does go away for some reason I'm sure you'll be able to convert your Symphony license to a Media Composer license, but if anything goes away I imagine it will be Media Composer merging with Symphony.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 14, 2012 at 4:23:30 pm

If we're speculating wildly, I suspect the mc & symphony lines will merge in the next update, or soon there after. I don't think symphony owners will be left out on the lurch. But rather mc owners will find a clear path forward towards symphony. in any case the two products are so damn close it's hard to justify calling them seperate products, no?

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 14, 2012 at 4:27:32 pm

Symphony and MC are the same except that MC has a hobbled color corrector. Symphony also has Universal mastering from 24p projects, if you have DX hardware.

With Symphony being so cheap it would be foolish in my opinion to buy MC instead.

Return to posts index

Danny Davis
on May 14, 2012 at 4:47:50 pm

Thanks Chaps!

Ill put the Symphony order in then. Just wanted to get some other takes on it all.

Again thanks.

Danny.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on May 17, 2012 at 3:28:56 am

You can't beat the $995 crossgrade price for Symphony! They dropped the price to compete with Smoke 2013.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]