FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove Pulldown in MC 6.0

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Silverman
Remove Pulldown in MC 6.0
on May 8, 2012 at 6:28:16 pm

I'm quite new to Avid MC 6.0 as I'm in the process of switching from FCP. I shoot primarily in AVCHD codec and I just shot a wedding using two cameras that record slightly different flavors of AVCHD.

The problem that I am having is that the footage shot on my Panasonic HMC150 is native 1080 24p while the footage shot with a backup Canon HF M40 is 1080 24p in a 60i container. The Canon footage shows up in MC 6.0 as 1080i 29.97 fps while the Panasonic footage shows up as 1080p 23.98. I linked all of the footage using AMA, and am currently transcoding the Pansonic's footage to XDCAM 35. However, when I tried to convert the Canon footage, it gave me a warning that the footage will have to be adjusted to the project settings of 23.98 fps.

I've received some help already but am still stuck. I've tried to select "2:3 Film" in the Field Motion Column in the Bin. However, that didn't seem to help as there is still a green dot on the clip when I drag it into the timeline. I tried refreshing Motion Adaptors and still no luck.

Is it possible that MC 6.0 cannot remove the pulldown? If MC 6.0 is able to remove the pulldown, please let me know how it can be done as I'm hoping to start editing soon but just need to get this issue resolved.

Thanks!

Mike S.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Remove Pulldown in MC 6.0
on May 8, 2012 at 6:44:15 pm

I would try the other direction. 23.98 converted to 29.97 usually looks better, and is quite common. Create a 29.97 project and put your 23.98 on the time line and let avid convert it in the time line.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 8, 2012 at 6:55:26 pm

Still thinks it should work. If you load the clip you changed the FieldMotion for into the source monitor, are you able to step through a second in 24 frames?

Are these cams both really 23.976fps, or is one of them 24.000fps? Are you in a 1080/23.976p project or in a 1080/24p project?

Return to posts index

Mike Silverman
on May 8, 2012 at 7:15:51 pm

When I link to the footage through AMA, the Video column reads "H.264 (1080p 23.976)" for the Panasonic HMC150's footage. For the Canon it reads "H.264 (1080i 29.97)". The Canon says in its literature that it wraps the 24p in 60i.

I was in a 1080/23.976p project when the green dot appeared in the Canon's footage. Now that I'm in a 1080/29.97 project I of course get a green dot in the Panasonic's footage.

As I'm trying to transcode the footage into XDCAM 35, now when I try to transcode I get the same message saying "Some clips do not match the edit rate of the current project. Transcode creates new clips that match the current project rate. Because the new edit rate does not match the original clip, you cannot batch capture, batch import, relink or link (via AMA) to these new clips. Convert or skip clips that do not match the edit rate of the project?"

I then am given the option to "convert" "skip" "cancel". If I convert the Panasonic files to 29.97 will that cause any issues in quality?

I guess being new to Avid, I don't want to make a mistake when converting the footage, then once I get finish with the edit realize that I made a mistake when transcoding and have to start all over.

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 8, 2012 at 8:15:45 pm

It should not cause a quality issue. It's just stating that you cannot relink 23.976p media to 29.97i source clips. Makes sense in a way. I dare not guarantee it, as I work mainly in the PAL and 24.000p domains.

I would, however, not transcode to XDCAM 35, but rather to a flavor of Avid DNxHD. That codec, much like ProRes, is designed to hold up in post over multiple generations (read: sequential renders and exports).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]