FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Broadcast Wave format files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Spencer
Exporting Broadcast Wave format files
on May 5, 2012 at 5:26:33 pm

Hi

I am finishing some films in Avid MC 5.5 and now the client has asked specifically for BWF, Broadcast wave format audio files as part of the delivery tech spec.(so they can distribute the programmes globally and re-mix audio locally from scratch). I haven't made these before. Is it possible to output them from MC. Would this make any difference,(from plain WAVs)- they are very insistant on the point (but can't explain why) is there any meta data that they carry that can be exported from Avid?

I don't run Pro Tools.

Thanks

Frank

Media Composer 5.5, Win 7
PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Exporting Broadcast Wave format files
on May 5, 2012 at 6:56:51 pm

You can export BWAV from source clips or timeline. When you do, the timecode is added to the BEXT chunk essentially making a WAV file a BWAV file.

If you have I/O hardware, you can actually export all timeline audio tracks in one pass into a multitrack BWAV file, for example, 1 file with 4 tracks. So depending on the requirement and how it needs to be named, it can be done this way. If single track files are requested, then do the export 1 track at a time.

Limitation are the multitrack export cannot be done with I/O hardware - and not with software only. Wish that were different. Also, if you name your tracks in the Media Composer timeline, that does not end up in the BEXT chunk of the BWAV file. You will need to use a free program like Wave Agent from http://www.sounddevices.com to rename the tracks within the file. It can also be used to change timecode and other metadata and should be part of everyone's toolkit. Available for Mac and PC.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 9, 2012 at 7:40:00 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply, this is exactly hat I want to do - but I still can't see how to do this, I guess I must be missing something.

If I select export/audio I just get a standard WAV option, I can't see wher to go for a BWAV. CAn you advise?

When you say I/O hardware, I ues the adrenaline box (with DnxHD) does that count? The delivery spec does call for a multitrack WAV in one file if possible.

Thanks

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 9, 2012 at 12:09:58 pm

The UI was never updated to reflect what was actually being exported. Selected WAV will be a BWV since version 5 when timecode was added to export, WAV, QuickTimes, etc.

Yes, Adrenaline box should count. Go to your audio output settings and select "direct out".

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 11, 2012 at 9:38:00 am

To add, the extension for BWF is still .wav
(that confuses a lot of people...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 12, 2012 at 9:29:29 am

Thanks for the help, but I still can't quite get there!

Selecting direct out and then trying to export a WAV gives me the message'audio exports cannot be performed in Direct Out mode because clip based pan information is not applied. Please switch to Stereo Mix mode and listen to the panning before exporting.'

I can't find a way past this, there is no panning on my TL.

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 13, 2012 at 5:13:26 am

The setting is actually in the export window. There is a menu in the dialog box itself for stereo, 5.1, 7.1, discreet, etc.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 14, 2012 at 9:11:51 am

Hi Mike thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

But this is still bugging me.

I have used the (very good) Wave Agent tool you reccomended, and that is one way of achieveing what I need, but I have to play out 8 files for each programme and then combine them, so it takes 10 times as long for each programme - but - thanks to you - I am able to deliver as specified.

BUT. I really feel I should be able to follow your instructions for Media Composer 5.5. and learn how to do this properly. However, I have spent a while serching around and I can't find the '5.1, 7.1 discreet' option you are telling me about. If I go to export/audio and set it to WAVE I just get the standard mono or stereo options, nothing else. I can't find anywhere in the export dialog that offers this. Can you help (again) please,

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 14, 2012 at 11:34:23 am

Sorry I wasn't clear, but the ability to do discreet track export is new with Media Composer v6. In all previous versions, the method you are currently employing is the only way to do it. Also, you do not need any type of hardware in v6 for the discreet out, software only mode will do the same.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frank Spencer
on May 14, 2012 at 3:19:27 pm

Excellent, I thought I was cracking up.

Thanks for your help, it has been invaluable.

Now to get my upgrade to v6 (and to get rid of the adrenaline I guess...)

Thanks

Frank

PAL, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]