FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Composer vs Symphony

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Doyle
Media Composer vs Symphony
on May 4, 2012 at 3:01:16 pm

Hi All. I'm seriously considering upgrading to Symphony from Media Composer, but I have some questions, and would love it if y'all could provide the answers. Here they are:

1) Can I share projects / bins created with Symphony with editors working with MC?

2) Will the third-party plugins (Magic Bullet, etc) that I currently use in MC work in Symphony?

3) What can I expect in terms of future upgrade pricing for Symphony? That is, do you expect the future upgrades from Symphony 6.0 to 6.5 - or whatever - to be a similar price to the MC upgrades ($499 - $599)?

Thank in advance for the help.

Jay

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Composer vs Symphony
on May 4, 2012 at 3:57:58 pm

[Jason Doyle] "1) Can I share projects / bins created with Symphony with editors working with MC?"

Absolutely. This is how onlines are done. Symphony can open MC projects. And MC can open symphony projects. The only caveat to that is that if you use a feature that only comes with MC or Symphony 6, you won't be able to work with that file in a previous version. Say using the ProRes MXF codec. Or if you use Mix and Match in MC5.5, and try to open that in MC 3.

[Jason Doyle] "2) Will the third-party plugins (Magic Bullet, etc) that I currently use in MC work in Symphony?"

If they work in MC, they will work in Symphony.

[Jason Doyle] "3) What can I expect in terms of future upgrade pricing for Symphony? That is, do you expect the future upgrades from Symphony 6.0 to 6.5 - or whatever - to be a similar price to the MC upgrades ($499 - $599)?"

No clue. Because this current upgrade came out of the blue. I'm not sure to the history of pricing, as I normally use MC. Those upgrades were about $299 for the past couple years.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Doyle
on May 4, 2012 at 7:57:48 pm

Thanks, Shane, for your always helpful advice.

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on May 5, 2012 at 5:19:55 pm

Traditionally Symphony upgrades are more expensive than MC upgrades. Something to bear in mind if you're considering the upgrade.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]