FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID 6 Crashing during Database Rebuild ??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khoren Mirzakhanian
AVID 6 Crashing during Database Rebuild ??
on May 2, 2012 at 11:32:27 pm

Hope someone can help me figure out a solution.

We have 3 Symphony 6 machines with Nitris DX boxes connected to Unity shared storage.

One of the avid's started scanning all media on the partition and crashed. We tried to rebuild the database by deleting the old database files. but the avid cannot finish re-creating the database. It hangs towards the end, and ends up crashing, or we have to force quit out of it.

No other system has this problem. The other 2 Avid's can access the media in that folder without any problems.

Any solutions?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AVID 6 Crashing during Database Rebuild ??
on May 3, 2012 at 2:01:42 pm

If the other two can access that media, im assuming at some point one of them did a scan and rebuilt the database? (I don't use Unity, but im assuming there is still only one data base for all shared boxes) If thats the case my question would be why does the third Avid do any scan at all...it should read the data base and move along. The only quick troubleshoot i can think of is to rename the media folder on that partition so it has nothing for Avid to scan. Launch the third Avid and see what it does. If it locks up, perhaps its time for a quick un-install, re-install. If it doesn't lock up, can it digitize to that partition. If it can digitize, my guess would be something corrupt in the media. You could try moving media back into that partition a little bit at a time to see if you can find a range of clips that it doesn't like.

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 3, 2012 at 4:59:23 pm

Take a look at the media file names. We had some issues with some files having asian characters (japanese?) in the file names for some bizarre reason. Once deleted, everything worked fine.

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on May 3, 2012 at 9:39:03 pm

Correct me if I`m wrong, but each machine on a unity has its own subfolder within the MXF Folder. During scanning they check whats inside this subfolder and write the.pmr file. From that .pmr file the .mdb file is being written. So symphony 1 should not be able to scan subfolder symphony 2 e.g. But john might be on the right track. Exotic names are giving the machine a headache. Another thought might be the file count. How many files are in the subfolder? there´s a file limit which can lead to problems when being surpassed.

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on May 3, 2012 at 9:46:29 pm

Yes each computer has its own subfolder in the MXF folder.

I have not seen any random characters in the filenames.

File count is 3,400 at the moment. I believe the newer versions of Avid should support up to 5,000 files, and then re-create a new subfolder ( 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc ) when it has reached its limit.

When trying to rebuild media database, Avid hangs at the very end and will either crash or I have to force quit out of it.

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on May 3, 2012 at 11:02:44 pm

Apparently the only work around I have found so far is to create new subfolders and move mxf files around.

When keeping file count less then 2,000 Avid works fine, rebuilds database without any issues.

Is there a way to change the database file count limit? so avid can create new folders itself automatically, instead of me doing this every time?

Return to posts index

Hans Sieber
on May 4, 2012 at 7:16:56 am

The file limit is as you stated set to 5000 files per subfolder in the mxf folder. There should be no problem with file counts up to that number. Avid automatically creates a new folder labeled 2 when he reaches the maximum. You´re writing that the machine crashe when bulding the database. you mean the .pmr file? how many subfolders do you have right now for that machine?

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on May 4, 2012 at 7:14:30 pm

FROM AVID COMMUNITY FORUMS.

This is exactly what is happening to us

word for word.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/108330/627710.aspx#627710

" Running MC 6.0.1 on Lion 10.7.2 with Unity. Noticing that whenever our media folders exceed past 2000 files avid will lock up and crash. Upon restarting the system avid will then scan the database files and then hang near the end of the scan, then crash again. We've found that if you create new media folders, split the files up and keep them below 2000 mxf files avid will relaunch, scan and allow you to work again. However, we've found that avid is only writing files to the 1.1 folder. It will see media in 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 but it will only write to folder 1.1.

Anyone else seeing anything similar? Is this a known bug?

Thanks! "

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on May 4, 2012 at 11:50:53 pm

Just got a response from Bob Russo from AVID. It was an Avid 6 bug, not very common, but is fixed in the 6.0.1.1 patch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]