FORUMS: list search recent posts

Insert Edit after audio dissolve knocks audio out of sync

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aoife Carey
Insert Edit after audio dissolve knocks audio out of sync
on May 2, 2012 at 11:10:25 am

Working with AVID Media Composer v4.0.3 on iMac. Project is on the desktop & MXF files are on a drive.

When I "insert edit" material into my timeline after an audio clip with dissolve at the end it knocks the audio from the other clips out of sync by about 20 frames.

Is there any way to avoid this? Is it a glitch or just a setting.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Insert Edit after audio dissolve knocks audio out of sync
on May 2, 2012 at 5:24:12 pm

You are thinking in terms of Final Cut Pro perhaps...where it is more difficult to have everything on the timeline move together.

Avid does not assume you want everything to move together. If you want to lock tracks sync toghether you have to select the little box beside the tracks you want to sync together. Beside the V1 or A2, or what ever track you are looking at is a skinnier box. Click it and a little slash/tick will come on. That track will now move with the track you are inserting to. If you want to lock all tracks together, go the the bottom of your patch panel. at the bottom of the column that has those slash/ticks, there is another box. Click in it and they will all turn on or off.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Aoife Carey
on May 9, 2012 at 10:50:19 am

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your response. It's probably just the way I'm explaining it. I'm an FCP person, but my editor is an AVID only, so she's definitely not confusing things with FCP.

All of the tracks are locked together as you described. But the audio in clips after the insert is shifting by however long the audio dissolve is, e.g. dissolve of 100 frames shifts all audio after the insert, on that track 100 frames ahead (AVID gives the -100 warning on the clip).
It doesn't affect clips on other tracks. If the audio dissolve is taken out and you insert a clip this doesn't happen. It's just not convenient to take out all of the dissolves before inserting any material.

Perhaps it's a bug in Media Composer 4?

Aoife

Return to posts index

Aoife Carey
on May 9, 2012 at 2:59:52 pm

I'm not sure if this visual clip makes it easier to see the issue?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 9, 2012 at 7:36:55 pm

Aoife, i was going to try to simulate your problem, but i need a bit of help on your screen grab, as I can't see the edge of the video and audio tracks.

The item with the purple piece with a dissolve is a video track?
the other two are audio tracks, or all 3 are audio tracks. (is the -50 audio out of sync with audio, or video out of sync with audio)

Which piece did you insert..the piece after the color coded items?
And you are saying that one dissolve that looks to be centered on the dissolve is 50 frames long?...hense the -50 on everything after the inserted clip, which does not show any sync issues.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 10, 2012 at 5:12:03 am

Aoife, the only way i can get anything like that to happen is to use the segment mode (extract/splice in) tool in the smart tool section. I assumed you were talking about a strict Insert Edit using the Yellow Arrow with the two Black dashes, in the area between the source and record monitor, or by using the "V" key on the default keyboard. If your editor is using the splice in tool from the smart tool, that does seem to simulate what you are describing, but again, i can only get it to happen when i unlock the tracks.

Is that what is happening, is she moving a clip around on the timeline? or is it a pure insert from the source monitor?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Aoife Carey
on May 10, 2012 at 1:32:10 pm

Hi Glenn,

that's exactly it. It's an insert from the source clip monitor, using the yellow Splice-in arrow. Not moving the clip about. The organge is the original timeline -the purple/red is the inserted clip.
The purple track is the video track, the red are the two audio tracks. Below and above are more video and audio tracks.

I can't seem to simulate the problem again - the tracks were all locked though

Thanks again Glenn!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]