FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP editor in the deepend

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin lewis
FCP editor in the deepend
on May 1, 2012 at 6:47:27 pm

Hi,

I have a few questions I'm editing in Avid 5.5 and actually rather enjoying it but working on very tight deadline with no extensions, theres a few things that I can not figure out and was wondering if you can help, its related to moving clips around the timeline.

how do I make the audio drop down to A3 and A4 when I moved the linked video up to V2?? Would have thought this would have been automatic? On top of that you can link and move clips at the same time making that yellow bracket at the start of all the clips you select any idea what shortcut does this.?

Im sure this is the start of a few novice questions but its al rather alien to me.

thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP editor in the deepend
on May 1, 2012 at 9:19:44 pm

[Robin lewis] "how do I make the audio drop down to A3 and A4 when I moved the linked video up to V2?? Would have thought this would have been automatic? "

Nope...only FCP does that. In Avid you need to move them separately. They can be linked when you move, but they won't spread out like they do in FCP. Adobe Premiere doesn't do that either.

[Robin lewis] "On top of that you can link and move clips at the same time making that yellow bracket at the start of all the clips you select any idea what shortcut does this.?"

Draw a box around the clips you want to move. You will have to start in the grey area outside the tracks. Drag the box from upper left to lower right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on May 1, 2012 at 9:22:54 pm

thank shane, its a different but good way of thinking, I love being able to swap clips around with the insert arrow

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on May 1, 2012 at 10:07:12 pm

Robin. Avid works different. Its not based on drag/drop, mouse clicking and lassoing. You can work that way, but its not the way it is most effective. You should learn some basic commands, extending methods instead of trimming, using the composer window more active and so on. In your case. Set in+out on your timeline, alt+c/x/z (load IN composer), select correct tracks (grey area) and key down to the timeline. Depends on how you have mapped your keys. Learn to work this way and you can edit double as fast as with FC/Premiere. Its a bit complicated but take the time.

Return to posts index

Robin lewis
on May 1, 2012 at 10:33:03 pm

Thanks good advise much appreciate it, pretty much got my head round it now yet im sure ill keep coming across things! /i have three weeks solid on it with daily deadlines so on a fast learning curve.. good though as by the end of the three weeks I should know Avid very well.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 2, 2012 at 8:08:02 am

Robin If you can make the time and splash the cash I'd look at FCP to Avid cross training. VET do it but so do others as well.
Many FCP editors work out how to make Avid do what they need but Avid is quite different and they end up doing things in a very slow and complex way.
The FCP to Avid cross training is designed to compare the two working methods and how to convert and use the best tools and methods in Avid.
Is so frustrating to see an editor struggling and cursing the software when a few simple tips and they are flying.
When used right Avid can help an editor realy fly through the work.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on May 2, 2012 at 10:43:42 am

I agree with Pat. I have trained several people who have switched from one NLE to another and whilst they can usually get to a point where they find a way to edit with their new NLE on their own, they very find the best way of using that specific NLE. If you can't get to or afford person to person training there are also good courses online.

Andy

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC6
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 2, 2012 at 3:23:06 pm

Just remember when you do your lasso- as Shane said, it only works from one side to the other. Drawing your box the other way gives a different command (trim vs select) Make sure your box complete covers the edits you want to affect. If you end your box halfway through an edit, that edit won't be included in the selection...just the edits that the box completely surrounded.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]