FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 and HMC150 workflow issues?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paz Derien
MC6 and HMC150 workflow issues?
on May 1, 2012 at 4:04:20 pm

Hi everyone, I'm jumping ship from FCP, probably switching to MC6. At the same time I am buying two new cameras. They need to be $3k or less. I'm just about to click 'buy' on the the panasonic ag-hmc150, but now I'm reading about how you can't directly import into avid, that you have to use clip wrap or transcode somehow. What do you wise and experienced forum users have to say about an avid/hmc150 workflow? Am I setting myself up for misery or am I just doing too much googling? thanks, Paz

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
Re: MC6 and HMC150 workflow issues?
on May 1, 2012 at 6:30:35 pm

AVCHD has worked for a while in media composer. In previous versions it required a traditional import (which converts files to Avid MXFs) and it wasnt too hot at recognising spanned clips. In V6 you can now AMA AVCHD footage into Avid and it works with spanned clips. Your still mostly likely going to want to convert the footage to edit it, but you can now transcode from the AMA clips which is faster than a straight import.

Andrew McKee
Editor/Colourist
Avid Certified Instructor - MC5.5
Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX
Pixelwizard.net

Return to posts index

Paz Derien
on May 1, 2012 at 6:43:24 pm

Thanks Andrew. I've clearly got some things to learn here. Not sure why I would AMA then transcode footage to edit it, that seems like an unnecessary pass? Also still trying to figure out what everyone means by "spanned" clips. Onward, Paz

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on May 1, 2012 at 8:58:17 pm

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/101842/586388.aspx
"The cameras normally split up into 2GB chunks"

In the past, Avid has a HUGE problem importing the spanned clips. It basically didn't work. I think in 6, the workaround is the AMA in and then transcode rather than a straight import. Or, you could render out the clips to DNxHD using a secondary program and import in that way.

The camera itself works fine. I've got one that I'm happy with overall. I wish it had HD-SDI out rather than just the component and HDMI out, but it's a good camera at a good price.

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 1, 2012 at 9:02:02 pm

Avid works best with media transcoded to avid media. Just like FCP wants you to convert to ProRes. Yes, avid allows you to access and work with the footage natively, but after a while your system will slow to a crawl. It just isn't designed to work with footage natively. AMA gives you access to the media so you can transcode.

Want to work natively? Use Adobe Premiere.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paz Derien
on May 3, 2012 at 6:47:37 pm

I have such brand aversion to premiere from way back in the day. I'm downloading the trial versions and letting go of my prejudice, let's see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]