FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing XDCam in Symphony

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendell Davis
Editing XDCam in Symphony
on Apr 30, 2012 at 6:28:42 pm

Used to have a MC3D Avid system, but Avid got to be so expensive it seemed like I was working for them. Went with FCP. Now.... considering for $1000 going back to AVID - In many ways like the Avid better, but then there are things about FCP. Do not like FCPX at this time.

I shoot almost exclusively in XDCam 1920*1080i 35mps and import right off the card - JVC HM700 (really like this camera for what I do).

The question...finally.... How does Symphony (software only version) handle XDCam? Retired and help non-profits so even $1000 comes directly from my pocket.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Editing XDCam in Symphony
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:20:32 pm

XDCAM works native. Just mount the card via AMA and consolidate to your drive.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:09:43 pm

Ah, heres the rub. Does that camera shoot XDCAM native files? Or to XDCAM QuickTime files that are native to FCP? If the QT files, then you are in trouble. Only FCP reads those files. Avid won't be able to see them unless some FCP app is installed, like FCP or Compressor. That was the danger of making a camera that shoots to native FCP formats (except ProRes. There are public decodes for that).

Calibrated makes an XDCAM decoder that will work, but then you have to transcode to an Avid codec.

Unless you are shooting XDCAM in the XDCAM file format. That Avid works with natively. Just consolidate from the card or card backup.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 1, 2012 at 11:54:03 am

Specs say that this cam can record QT or mp4. Pretty sure the latter would work with Avid.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:44:46 pm

If its QuickTime, you can probably install Compresor 4 for 49 bucks. That gives you all the FCP codecs.
Then you can still AMA.

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on May 1, 2012 at 11:36:23 am

Thanks guys. It is shooting in the Quicktime XDCam format. I do have FCP7, FCPX and Adobe Suite so if I decide to go the Avid route have those things covered.

Now the decision... do I want to? How does everyone feel about running software only Symphony on a Mac laptop, and or an Intel tower? Really don't want to buy the Avid hardware to get needed speed.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 1, 2012 at 1:55:08 pm

download the Media Composer trial. Try it for 30 days and see how it works on your system. You can also see how it handles your workflow. Essentially the same software as Symphony- minus some color correction.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on May 1, 2012 at 1:58:21 pm

Thanks Glenn.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 1, 2012 at 7:20:54 pm

Or download the Symphony trial. Same difference.

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on May 1, 2012 at 7:28:09 pm

I will. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]