FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raw footage from mini dv tape to DVD

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Greer
Raw footage from mini dv tape to DVD
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:32:59 pm

I have a customer who wants the raw footage burned onto DVD's. The video was shot from a camera using mini dv tapes. I have all the video loaded in the computer and need to know the best file format to transfer to a DVD. The customer is taking the DVD's to have edited and prefers the raw footage on DVD's instead on the mini dv tapes. Thanks, Bob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Raw footage from mini dv tape to DVD
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:10:09 pm

What will they edit on? Because if you captured with your system...An Avid...the files will be in the MXF format, and they can only edit those with an Avid. Are they expecting QT files to edit in FCP with or what?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Greer
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:59:20 pm

Don't know what the editor will be using. The raw footage will be going to Pakistan for editing. I doubt there is anyway of finding out. I was thinking of AVI files, but there is alot of footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:08:29 am

Knowing what format they want is a pretty basic request. There are no "raw files" when you capture from tape. Avid captures as MXF, FCP as DV Quicktime, Premiere Pro as some form of MPEG 2, Vegas...who knows? Tapeless formats are easier to hand off that way. But tapes? No...you either hand off the tapes, or capture to a format they can work with. And to do that, you need to know what they are using.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:03:25 pm

If you really have now way of getting a definitive spec from the client, DV NTSC (or PAL..whichever you shot) will be easily worked with in FCP, Premiere and with Avid.

If you give him MXF media, it will only be readable easily in Avid,

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 28, 2012 at 3:53:07 pm

And if there is a lot of footage....take it easy on the other editor and just give him a hard drive instead of 100 dvds that he has to load up 1 at a time.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Raw footage from mini DV tape to DVD
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:34:08 am

Lets not get confused between wrapper and codecs.
QT, AVI MXF and many more are wrappers they aren't codecs.
So the source format is DV currently on a tape. As long as it's captured to a DV codec it will still be DV and no re-compression will occur.
The "wrapper" to hold it being QT or AVI or MXF is just a convenient way of collecting that coded data.
Clearly it makes sense to "wrap" that coded data in a way the next system can easily access but it's not critical. Re-wrapping content is a simple and fast process.
So for example Avid would prefer it as MXF files and if they are you can drop them in the media files folder and access them. But if they are DV codec wrapped in a QuickTime file you can AMA them into Avid or fast import them.
My concern here is the maximum capacity of the DVD medium and source files that exceed that. And the fact that DVD writing and reading isn't that quick.
A harddrive is far more practical (but make sure at least 2 copies are made for backup)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]