FORUMS: list search recent posts

New B question! When importing tapeless media to Media Composer How can I choose codecs?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Nemesis
New B question! When importing tapeless media to Media Composer How can I choose codecs?
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:10:02 pm

I can access the import menu as well as the Format tab. I used Avid back in the day and my old interface is gone... I am trying to bring in some footage ingested in uncompressed 10 bit 525 line SD as reel length movie clips in mov. I do not have a third party card. I was told that there are some great codecs that could handle it well. I can not find the screen to access them. Any help would be great. Double Thanks!

Thank You for your input!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: New B question! When importing tapeless media to Media Composer How can I choose codecs?
on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:28:30 am

I just had a bad experience with another new b. so don't flip out on me. ;-)

In my opinion the best way to bring in qts now is to use the AMA link & consolidate approach.

So given that your files are 10bit qt the approach I would take is to create a new project that matches your clip (I.e. pal sd) then create a bin, let's call it "AMA" then go to file menu > "Link to AMA files" then select your source qt.

They should now show up in your bin. Then select them all and right click. Select consolidate/transcode. Now here's where I can't help you... I'm not sure if pal sd 10bit can just be rewrapped to "1:1 mxf" (this is consolidate) or if it needs to be transcoded to "1:1 mxf". In any case the 1:1 codec is what you want to retain the full quality of the 10bit file. Unfortunately the DNxHD codecs only work in HD... Ergo the "HD" portion of the name.

After you transcode or consolidate (consolidate is faster if it's available) you'll have new master clips. Delete the AMA clips and use your new master clips to edit as needed.

Hope that help. Feel free to yell at me if it doesn't.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Nemesis
Re: New B question! When importing tapeless media to Media Composer How can I choose codecs?
on Apr 28, 2012 at 1:17:43 am

I thank you for your fast response. I have been away from Avid long enough I am claiming the newbie title for simplicity in posting. Seems the releases moved on without me! I will give this a shot and I thank you very much for your time!

Thank You for your input!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:41:49 am

If you are new to AMA then check the AMA settings first to make sure the AMA'd clips are created int he bin you want/expect (I prefer to set it to use the Active bin and use a newly created bin named as required before I do an AMA link)
Also if you choose AMA link volume you can point to the folder that contains the files and they will all be linked (AMA link files allows individual or group selections and is useful if you have a folder with a mixed bag of content).
As Juan says AMA then consolidate is best but not all codecs can be consolidated (only those considered "native" by Media composer can) so if you can't consolidate, or want to change codec then use AMA link then Transcode.
I can't stress strongly enough how much more powerful AMA link and consolidate/transcode is compared with import. The time saving at then end if you have to conform back to the source media can be significant.
Check out the VET short course http://www.vet.co.uk/site/training/scheduled_courses/avid_ama_ingest_and_ex...

For more on AMA workflows with Avid. It's a great course. I wrote it and teach it :-)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:50:15 pm

Interesting, I asked a question on consolidate vs transcode and it seems that there is always conflicting answers on this. I have been using consolidate to move projects after completion, but I keep hearing others talk about consolidate upon ingesting footage. This part I don't understand much in when I would use consolidate on ingest vs transcode.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:16:27 pm

It's not as complex as it sounds.
Consolidating doesn't change the media codec at all. It just makes a copy of the selected content.
So if you AMA link a clip and make a smaller subclip and consolidate it you make a smaller copy of that media in the same codec but now wrapped in an Avid MXF file.
Consolidating at the end of a job is an effective way of making a copy in a new location of all the media used in a final timeline(s) plus some handles for later tweaking if you want. But not having to take across the whole of the original clip. Also it's done without re-encoding the media. So it's quick and lossless.

Transcoding however allows you to specify the destination medias codec so you are decoding the source (to uncompressed in RAM) and then re-encoding to the selected Transcode resolution. This is slower and could introduce cross coding artifacts. However sometimes this is the best solution. For example you may have horrid HDV content and transcoding to DNX185 gets you back to much nicer, Avid friendly media but you will use a lot more disk space. Consolidating HDV just gives you re-wrapped HDV content.

Also with AMA there's a lot of development where as importing is now an old and less devleloped method.

Hope that helps.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:47:07 pm

That was extremely helpful! So when one consolidates, do the files have the same privilege as DNX (multi-cam, AAF export, Quicktime Ref export etc...)? You know all the things that would give you a headache if you tried editing with AMA footage?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:11:21 pm

Yes when you consolidate you are creating Avid managed copies of the media so you avoid some of the complications AMA can bring.
However this is where Transcode can be more helpful. Formats like HDV which can be consolidated and would make Avid MXF media would still be long GOP media so still heavy going for the CPU in terms of playback. So for some formats that could be consolidated Transcoding maybe better.
But you need to have a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the various formats to make the right informed choice.
For many HD jobs I still prefer to Transcode AMA HD sources to an SD resolution. It makes the offline much quicker in terms of more realtime stuff and exporting files or DVD's is also much quicker because you are already in SD. The relinking of your sequence to the AMA sources at the end is quick and easy (if you know how to do it) and you can then transcode to a finishing codec for output.

My favorite Avid AMA workflow is using Red files. All done in Avid. As long as you only need an HD deliverable (and even for a DCI HD is so close it's often more than good enough)

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]