FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is the interface so dang sluggish??

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Why is the interface so dang sluggish??
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:25:10 pm

So, I just took advantage of the Symphony crossgrade. Been doing some editing and it just seems like the interface is really slow compared to FCP. Moving keyframes, clips on the timeline, trimming on the timeline, etc. is all slow by comparison. Is this just the state of Avid these days or what?

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Why is the interface so dang sluggish??
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:40:36 pm

Avid isn't so much mouse and GUI driven as it is keyboard driven. That's why sometimes on mouse action it doesn't update the timeline so much, but rather updates the composer window. Just a different priority & one of the key differences with fcp and other nle. Do you have a 3rd party I/o card installed by any chance?

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:46:46 pm

Yeah, I was an AVID guy many years ago so no issue with keyboard editing, though for some things I got used to dragging in FCP. I do in fact have a BMD card. Is this a penalty for non-avid hardware?

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:57:43 pm

I can't be 100% sure. There is definitely a scrubbing issue with BMD, I do *feel* like the general performance is zipper with Nitrix hardware. But can't be sure. This is strictly my opinion & nothing else.

You may want to check you're running the latest 6.0.1.1 & most recent BMD drivers.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:38:03 pm

definately due to the BM drivers.

un install the drivers or hardware and the Avid should be snappy and fast.

apparantly BM and Avid are woking on it. Seems to be the case with most 3rd party hardware at present day.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:41:54 pm

Yeah, I just turned off the client monitor video out and the gui is much better. Kind of ironic isn't it? Going to AVID because video out was one of FCPX's shortcomings and it's an issue here with Avid too. Glad BMD and avid are working on it. Does the same issue exist with AJA hardware?

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:03:01 pm

Just tested another box here in the office running Symphony with AJA instead of BMD. Much more fluid. If only I could run Resolve with an AJA card I'd be set.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:22:01 pm

I'm running Symphony 6 with the AJA Kona 3 and it is as snappy as without. AJA seems to have nailed this down.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Resolve?
on Apr 28, 2012 at 7:40:35 pm

Do any of you having sluggish performance issues have Resolve installed? If so which version #? Lite or full?

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
Re: Resolve?
on Apr 29, 2012 at 6:00:17 pm

I'll have to double check this, but I believe the last update or so of Resolve uses the standard drivers. At any rate, I had installed the latest BMD drivers AFTER I installed Symphony, and long after the install of Resolve, so they SHOULD have overwritten whatever Resolve installed. I'll check with the BMD guys about this on monday. I have a full version of Resolve too btw, not lite.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 29, 2012 at 7:18:25 pm

Everyone else I've talked to saying they have sluggish performance with BMD has had resolve on the same machine. The driver install may not be overwriting all the files (i.e. it sees the file is already there and skips it) there by leaving some resolve optimization in the driver. I've got several MCs running on BMD hw, and none with Resolve installed on the same box. All seem to work well, maybe a hair less well than Nitris hw (which we also have)... but nothing that would make me complain of sluggish performance. So far the only common thread I've found with regards to people experiencing sluggishness has been a resolve install.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:29:23 pm

Have any of the other people you've spoken with about this issue mentioned a dual boot scenario as a solution? Resolve on one partition, AVID on the other? Should work if it is drivers only but won't if Resolve is messing with the firmware of the card like it use to.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:56:37 pm

No one on dual boot yet. That's a good point about the firmware. Though I understand BMD loads fw on boot, so dual boot may fix even that!

Thought I think a dedicated system for Resolve is probably the best way to go.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:36:20 pm

I've just finished building a Resolve Symphony system on An HP Z800 and it seems to fly on both as far as I can see.
I'm not convinced that the 280 driver resolve needs is best for MC and that seems to cause some display update lag but nothing that's an issue.
Too early to really tell as the box is mainly doing workflow testing so no real heavy lifing yet.
We're somewhat held up after discovering the Decklink HD Extreme 3D card suffersa 1 frame offest when capturing in SD or HD and that's some what limits our testing currently.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:40:14 pm

I think the issue may be limited to the Mac version. Should have specified that. The one frame thing is a BMD issue from way back.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:45:53 pm

Ah Mac yes that could be more of an issue. Much more stable on the PC side and has been for many a year.

The 1 frame offset is a real pain. Makes the card pretty much useless for conforming unless frame accuracy isn't an issue (yer right)
Can't see it's a hard fix.
I'm pursuing it on various fronts.
Luckily digital cut in both HD and SD is frame accurate unless you try and use and onboard processing.
Also the XLR analogue inputs can be selected but won't input audio with any digital video source selected.
It's shame because the card has a nice price point and I/O options but that's no use if it doesn't actually deliver.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Apr 30, 2012 at 4:25:59 pm

Just spoke with DaVinci support. As of Resolve 8.2, there is no separate driver install. If you install the regular desktop video drivers then install Resolve 8.2 it won't overwrite the drivers. So if things are sluggish with all the latest versions of the BMD stuff, then it must be something else.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]