FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems capturing into Avid via firewire

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lau Leck Gee
Problems capturing into Avid via firewire
on Apr 27, 2012 at 3:50:31 am

Hi guys,

I am trying to capture DV PAL footage into Avid MC 6 via the firewire that is hooked up to my Sony Z1P camera.

Somehow when I go to the capture tool, it always says "no source tape selected".

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

I thought it will just be a simple connection from the camera to the MAC pro via firewire?

Please advise guys as this is a simple task but I can't seem to get it to work :(

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Problems capturing into Avid via firewire
on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:04:46 am

In deck configuration... You need to add opthe ohci channel corresponding to your FireWire port. So that the camera can be detected as a controllable device. Then you need to actually configure it as a deck.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Lau Leck Gee
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:05:20 am

Hi Juan,

Thank you for your advice!

I went to deck configuration and Avid is able to detect the deck. (I am testing on a SONY DCR-PC12OE now.)

However, there is still something strange...

I am not able to see a preview of the footage at the capture tool. Is this normal?

Also, there are no deck controls. I need to go to "tools" > "new deck controller", before I am able to see the transport options of the deck. But this happens in a separate window. Shouldn't this be together with the capture tool?

**PS. I am new to Media Composer**.

Please advise.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:20:01 am

You are new. ;-)

Sounds like you need to switch your video and audio sources to 1934 FireWire. In the capture tool.

I would strongly encourage you to check the manual to make sure I'm not missing anything. It's all definitely covered there, under deck configuration and capture tool.

Hate to RTFM you. ;-) but I'm away from a system and can't verify.

Return to posts index

Lau Leck Gee
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:17:00 am

So what if I am new?

If you are so biased against a novice, then you are not suitable to be a opinion leader here.

And what is with this "RTFM" thing? You are simply too rude.

I am flagging you in.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:23:31 am

I was trying to help you man. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:20:43 am

RTFM...read the frickin' manual. We all have to do this. It takes a lot to learn new software, especially complex software like Avid MC. It would be difficult to dive right in without reading anything. I myself often look to the manual when I can't figure something out. Or the Avid help menu...just type in the search field what you want to know.

Juan did the best he could while not in front of his computer. He got you started. And yes, you should see something, in the PROGRAM monitor. Been a LONG while since I used Avid to capture via firewire, but...

Click on the HELP menu in Avid. Choose DOCUMENTATION. That will open the folder on your computer than has all the PDF files of the manuals. Click on the one called EDITING GUIDE. Then search it for FIREWIRE. That brought up the correct way to configure the deck. At least on my end.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Apr 28, 2012 at 6:44:29 pm

To answer the first question: when you see the no source tape box blinking, you should click it and give it a reel name, if you dont, you cant digitize/capture.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]