FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC6 Graphics Card

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Dinnigan
MC6 Graphics Card
on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:48:15 am

I have the latest build MacPro 8 core - OSX Lion 10.7.3 with HD 5770 and Quadro fx4000 graphics cards. I am looking to purchase Avid MC6 and wanted to know whether my Davinci Resolve setup is compatible with Avid's system requirements.

Will I be able to get the reported GPU support from Media Composer simply by using the fx4000 as my GUI (just plugging my cinema display into it)? Will it then ignore my HD5770 card?

It will be a bit of hassle if I have to keep plugging and un-plugging my computer monitor every time I want to switch between Resolve and Media Composer.

Any answers/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Simon

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: MC6 Graphics Card
on Apr 26, 2012 at 12:59:03 pm

Avid doesn't really care what you use on the Mac. Whatever card that is supported by Apple for your machine is acceptable. There isnt any significant acceleration using the graphics card in Avid. Even on the PC, you have nothing that approaches the CUDA integration in Premiere Pro. It is not even worth thinking about.
Resolve needs the Quadro card to no have any monitor plugged into it for optimum performance, so you should have your GUI plugged into the other card. Avid should ignore the Quadro, as there is no monitor connected to it....however there are some bugs with the new Avid interface involving multiple monitors...so you may have to play with your workspace presets to get it set up properly. You won't miss any GPU "acceleration" in Avid, as there really isn't any to speak of...its all done by the CPU and your CPUs are blazing fast.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:05:52 pm

Same answer..I have all 4 programs om my box. They don't really care about each other as long as they aren't running at the same time, trying to use the extreme 3d card for output. My 4800fx has nothing plugged I to it to allow premiere and resolve the acceleration. Avid ignores it. Final cut ignores it as well. Both computer displays are fed by a 120 card.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Alistair Ferguson
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:39:02 pm

Hi really interesting to read this - I'm thinking of upgrading my whole suite - it's an MC3 system which is running on a Mac Pro, it has an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT fitted. Im looking to run both MC6 and Resolve, I remember that earlier versions of Avid were very GFX card dependent from the responses to Simon's question it appears that this is not the case, am I right?

How do you think I would fair with Nvidia card and a BMD Decklink Studio for use with both Avid & Resolve...

Sorry to butt in! But it feels like you guys have real world experience of this!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]