FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simplest way to convert 10 bit uncompressed to DNxHD AVID codec. PC Media Composer 5.0

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Nemesis
Simplest way to convert 10 bit uncompressed to DNxHD AVID codec. PC Media Composer 5.0
on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:13:46 pm

These are all 525 interlaced masters and digitized as that. So the ingest was native 525 29.97 AJA codec 10 bit uncompressed... I have not been on an Avid for too long. How would I convert these files to a usable codec? The tech suggested DNxHD, the end product is DVD even though this is SD. Any help would be great. I have been gone too long! Do I need third party software?

Thanks for the help and insight.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Simplest way to convert 10 bit uncompressed to DNxHD AVID codec. PC Media Composer 5.0
on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:36:20 pm

When you say "DVD", do you mean SD or HD? If SD, I wouldn't recommend an uprez and downrez for the process, but just go straight to an AVID JFIF codec. You can also import those directly and select uncompressed on the Avid side, avoiding any further compression if you have the room.

If you are looking to do an HD video DVD, you have to decide where the best uprez can be done quality wise from SD to HD. Boris has a good reputation with their plug-in or you can do this in After Effects with an uprez plug-in there and export DNxHD as your output format.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Simplest way to convert 10 bit uncompressed to DNxHD AVID codec. PC Media Composer 5.0
on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:05:00 pm

You may have to install the AJA software codec for PC (from their website) to see the files initially.

DNX hd (unlike Apple Pro Res) is only for HD footage. Sounds like this is an entirely SD project.
You can import into Avid once you install the AJA codec. In your import dialog, set Avid to create 1:1x media (to stay uncompressed) or select 2:1 if you want to save space and use compression.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]