FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit in ProRes or Transcode?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle High
Edit in ProRes or Transcode?
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:01:07 am

Hello everyone,
The company I work for is switching from an SD Tape based workflow to an HD file based workflow. We produce a weekly 30 minute program and each week we will typically receive 6-8 camera ISOs and a line cut all in ProRes 422. (Currently we dumb it down in a convoluted process)

I know the newest version of MC will import the ProRes files without transcoding, but is it better to transcode to DNXHD?

We will definitely be re-editing the line cut to correct for errors. Will ProRes work as well as DNXHD in multi-cam? (I have experimented with AMA and it was way to slow)

I would appreciate any feedback form anyone who has tried this workflow?

Thanks, Kyle

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Edit in ProRes or Transcode?
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:27:42 am

Don't know specifically about multicam, but avid generally works better with DNxHD media, renders are certainly faster. That said, prores works well enough, to where depending on the amount of media and the length of edit session it's not really worth the hassle of transcoding.

That said AMA is a dog, and shouldn't be used for longer than necessary anyway. I'd recommend AMA linking your footage day 1, editing away, and if you take a long lunch break or have something else to do, set up a transcode to DNxHD, and then work from that.

Best of both worlds, instant access, and performance & stability.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]