FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting final cut material into AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Molly McKinley
getting final cut material into AVID
on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:13:58 pm

kind of not an Avid question....but kind of an Avid question (may definitely become one...)

I've been saddled with a small project that was originally going to be edited on Final Cut Pro. I have only Avid on my system (iMac). I was unable to even screen the raw material in QT and a friend sent me a codec which he thought would fix the problem. I can't add the codec to the QT folder within my LIBRARY folder as instructed--I get a message that that QT can't be modified. What now??

Return to posts index

David Powell
Re: getting final cut material into AVID
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:54:32 pm

When you say "material" are you referring to viewing quicktime files or bringing a complete project from Avid to FCP? If its the latter, you need to you Automatic Duck or Boris Transfer. If you read my thread below, I'm currently doing this.

Return to posts index

Molly McKinley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:00:52 pm

Actually, I just need to get the raw material into Avid. It's currently in QT form, but I can't screen it or import it into Avid.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:26:43 pm

what is the codec?
Have you tried downloading the Avid codec pack from their website?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Molly McKinley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:34:47 pm

no, I haven't tried that. The one I was given was: AppleHDVcodec.component. --?? I will check out the Avid codec pack...

m

Return to posts index

Molly McKinley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:39:03 pm

just read that the codecs come WITH Media Composer, so I must already have them...

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 19, 2012 at 7:49:27 pm

They're just clips then? How are you going about importing them? and whats happening when you try?

Return to posts index

Molly McKinley
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:24:40 pm

okay, so I've made some bizarre progress. Like I said before I downloaded the AppleHDV codec, but couldn't get it into the QT folder...and I was/am still unable to play the clips in QT player, HOWEVER, i tried again to import them into Avid, and it worked to an extent: though it seemed to import all the clips just fine--no error msgs--I now have audio, but no video--the screen is black.... Oh, and I just opened a bin and hit "IMPORT", that's how.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:29:51 pm

I believe the Apple HDV codec is only available on a Mac with FCP or maybe Compressor installed. Google Calibrated HDV Decoder. Calibrated maked XDCam decoders and might have one for HDV as well. Install the demo if the have one and open a movie in Quicktime. If you see video reimport into Avid and you should have video there too. If that works buy the decoder, import into Avid and edit. Or have the files converted to DNxHD quicktimes by the client and sent back to you.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Apr 26, 2012 at 2:24:18 pm

Molly, , if you do a straight import, AVID should write your new media in MXF format. Not sure why that isn't working. I'm assuming your on a PC judging by Michael's comment. If you have access to a MAC, I'd do as Michael says and have your friend convert the HDV files to DnXHD. You or he can do this with MPEG Streamclip. Its a free and handy little conversion tool that re-wraps media into different codec containers. Or he could use Compressor or some other tool to do the same thing. I would choose the latter because those are encoding programs meant to do just that.

Hope this helps.

OS 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 4 gb ram and AJA IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]