FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Duck from Avid to FCP and AMA limitations. Check my worflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Auto Duck from Avid to FCP and AMA limitations. Check my worflow
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:46:59 am

So I'm cutting a 30 min trt project that will be split into 3 sequences and married together in the end.

My goal is to be as fast and efficient as possible. I have 75% 5d footage and 25% EX1 footage. I'm on the latest 27"imac with all the goodies except ssd.

I read Shane's post about doing this, but one part tripped me up. Shane transcodes to Prores first, then AMA's, edits then exports to FCP. Is the intitial transcode to Prores necessary?

My steps would be

1. Ama.

2. Edit via AMA (Since the sequences are only 10 min long, I don't see the need to transcode right away).

3. Combine the sequences to a Master sequence and Transcode. Consolidate Sequence.

Export AAf.

4. Import into FCP via Pro Import 2.0

Now my main questions are, Do I need to transcode and consolidate to Prores in order for Pro Import to work in FCP. If so, is there some reason that I would have to do this before cutting other than smoother playback in Avid?

Am I missing any steps? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Auto Duck from Avid to FCP and AMA limitations. Check my worflow
on Apr 19, 2012 at 4:37:50 am

You can transcode & consolidate after editing. Should work fine. Just need to do it before you export the AAF.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:09:09 am

So I ran a test on a short sequence. I transcoded to Prores LT MXF, then went to export the AFF. Now I tried copying the media to another folder, but Avid would not allow this for Prores. So I check "link to" and exported an AFF when I imported into FCP the media was all offline, and was asking for .mov's that didn't exist anywhere, or that I couldn't locate.

Do I need to transcode to DNX from Avid and then Create Prores on import? Which step did I miss?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 19, 2012 at 8:59:09 pm

So I've just tried this and can confirm your findings. What works is transcoding/consolidating to DNxHD, then exporting an AAF. After doing that you could media manage back to prores in FCP. Or you know... just cut in FCP.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 19, 2012 at 9:39:32 pm

Jaun thanks so much for your help. I actually figured that out at about 1 AM or so. The thing about cutting in FCP is, well, first it sucks compared to Avid and second when most of my projects are cut on Avid, having to switch back and forth multiple times a week is a huge slowdown for me. I'm a very heavy keyboard jockey in both programs. My fingers get used to Avid/FCP shortcuts and having to jump back takes time to adjust. I feel like if I can get this workflow down it would really help me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]