FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 5.5/6 and symphony question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
klaus rodahl
MC 5.5/6 and symphony question
on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:01:53 pm

Been finding partial answers in different forums but giving it a try here:

I'm currently on fcp7 and doing CC in resolve. A client wants me to CC in avid MC 5.5 so got my hands on 5.5.3 (their facility is running 5.5.2 and will await update to 6 until second upgrade) - so:

As I see it wise to pick up speed on avid etc alongside fcp I find the crossover offer very interesting. I understand that if I buy MC 6 I can choose to install 5.5 instead. I also got the understanding that I can use a MC6 project in MC5.5 obviously without any features only available in MC6 - so that I can work in MC6 at my office, go to clients facility with projects and alter in MC5.5. Now if I choose to go for symphony instead (which to me seem like a no brainier given the current crossover offer) can I CC in symphony provided I only use tools also available I MC, and then open my symphony project at clients facility? Will symphony projects work in MC? And are the CC tools in MC also in symphony so that even though it seems a waste not to use symphony's CC tools, I can use symphony for this specific job?

One last question, is it from MC6 and on that I can use my deck link card or should this work in MC5? What about tangent wave?

Sorry about the lengthy question, but hopefully it could result in a move over to avid:)

Klaus

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: MC 5.5/6 and symphony question
on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:13:08 pm

[i]can I CC in symphony provided I only use tools also available I MC[/i]
You can use any tools. Everything, except unrendered secondary color correction, will play back in MC.

[i]Will symphony projects work in MC?[/i]
A full 100%. There is no difference in the software, Symphony just has a few more features unlocked.

[i]is it from MC6 and on that I can use my deck link card[/i]
Yes. Won't work with v5.5. Not sure about Tangent Wave.

Return to posts index

klaus rodahl
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:54:41 pm

Thank you Job that's brilliant news:)

Return to posts index

klaus rodahl
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:19:20 am

Thank you Job that's brilliant news:) one more question - should I go for dongle or license key? I personally prefer license key but have no experience with dongle. What's the plus about a dongle?

Best regards
Klaus

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:58:04 am

Dongles are not standard anymore, they are a paid option.

Software licenses need to be activated/deactivated through online access if you want to move a license from one machine to another. Dongles are just phyisical USB devices that you can simply unplug when you need to move it to another system.

Another advantage is that - for example - a Media Composer 5.5 dongle will also let you launch MC 4.x or even 3.x or 2.x, whereas a software license key works for one version only. It's less relevant when you go Symphony, as Symphony 5.5 and earlier only worked with Nitris or Nitris DX hardware attached, so swapping dongles would only work if the older system has Nitris / Nitris DX hardware.

Many folks love having dongles, many others are more than fine with Software Licensing.

Return to posts index

klaus rodahl
on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:49:08 pm

cool - looks like symphony's the healthy option;)

thanks again
klaus

Return to posts index

Gloria Almada-Russell
on May 2, 2012 at 2:11:24 am

What about going from MC6 or Symphony 6 (MAC) to my client's MC5 (PC) system? Will the project open and work? Doing the rough cut at my place and finishing at my client's place -so nothing fancy in MC6 or Symphony 6.
Thanks.

glo

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 2, 2012 at 10:43:04 am

[Gloria Almada-Russell] "What about going from MC6 or Symphony 6 (MAC) to my client's MC5 (PC) system? Will the project open and work?"

Yes. If you used any new features or effects in MC6 or Symphony 6 that aren't available in MC5 they may not translate, or you may not be able to change them (for example, Symphony source side color correction will carry over to MC but you can't change it in MC).

Otherwise, you should be fine, especially since this is just a rough cut.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]