FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't hear audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Cervarich
Can't hear audio
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:35:00 pm

Just started using Avid again after a long hiatus. Have imported into Media Composer 6.0.1 an AVCHD interview via AMA. Can see the video just fine and a representation of the audio. But I cannot hear it. Is there something I need to click? What am I forgetting? Hope I have given you enough info to solve this very basic question. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
Re: Can't hear audio
on Apr 16, 2012 at 5:28:21 pm

Check to make sure you haven't muted the tracks by mistake. A gold "M" would be showing up on your audio track in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:56:06 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestion that I may have muted my track. I did not make myself clear. I don't hear the audio when the file is in the source monitor. Is there a way to see if mute is on while the file is in the source monitor?

I did make an edit and no gold 'M' appeared in the timeline.

Any other suggestions? I hope.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:19:37 pm

If you don't hear anything in the source monitor...there's no audio on the clip OR you could simply have a "hitch" when MC launched. Have you tried quitting MC and relaunching? I have had this problem many times and relaunching solves it. Or it could require shutting down and restarting the computer. No kidding...this has solved my problem many times when audio is absent.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:36:50 pm

I have been in and out of MC several times. And I have powered down my system several times as well. I AMA'd the file about a week ago. It seemed to come up clean and fast. As I said, I see video just fine and I can see the audio meter moving. The clip is an interview. I brought it in to Premiere Pro just to make certain the audio really is there and it plays fine in PP.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 16, 2012 at 10:53:14 pm

Could be dealing with a bit rate issue and what version of Media composer you are using. First, check a quick simple thing. Make sure the speaker is not "off" where the Audio tool is showing the volume is indeed playing. Now, check the bit rate of the audio you shot. In your MC bin under the settings tab, go to audio project. There are two settings there for 16 and 24 bit audio. This may be the issue if it doesn't agree with your native audio bit rate. If it doesn't, re-import the clip at the native bit rate of your clip and try that. Gee, I hope this works! I'm running out of helpful advice!

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:08:42 pm

I checked to make sure the speaker in the Audio Tool was not 'off.' It is not 'off.' I checked in the settings tab and discovered that 16 bit audio was selected. I recorded 16 bit audio in the field.

After your post, I had one that suggested maybe playback is going through my AJA Kona LHi card. Since there is no audio hooked up to the card, I would hear nothing even though I would see the audio meter indicating audio is playing. I'm checking that out now. Cross your fingers.

And thanks for all of the suggestions you have given. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:11:16 pm

It now sounds more like an issue with how your audio is coming out of your AVID. Clearly it's there. Can you hear any other audio? Have you brought in a test quick time from something else just to see if you can hear it? I'm throwing darts here...but just don't know if you have been able to hear anything else.
Are you using external speakers? A board?

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:59:11 pm

Okay. Here are the specs on my setup.

I am using a MacPro running OS 10.7.3. The processor is 2 X 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. The memory is 12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3. The Avid Media Composer version is 6.0.1. I have an AJA Kona LHI board. I do not have a mixer. I listen via Sondsticks, Apple speakers. I had been editing with FCP up until late last year but have, for a few clients, put together pieces using Avid (at least five years ago).

I bought Avid 5.5 late last year and opened it long enough to see and hear various things that I pulled into the edit software. I then updated to 6.0.1. I am only just now trying to do a shakedown cruise by editing a short piece in 6.0.1. When I tried to do that I found out I could not hear the audio, even though I could see the video and the meter reading audio just above the timeline.

The audio that I have been referring to is an AVCHD interview clip (1080X30)that I recorded on a low-end Sony camera I bought last year. I pulled the same clip into Premiere Pro (I decided to try that software as well) and I see and hear it just fine.

Back in Avid, I pulled in a QT file and was unable to hear it either. I could see the picture just fine. The AVCHD clip I pulled in is 16 bit and Avid is set to recognize 16 bit.

Does this shed light on possible solutions to my problem? Do you need more specs? If so, which ones?

Thanks for your continued support and suggestions.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 17, 2012 at 10:02:25 pm

You typically listen to speakers attached directly to your Mac? That's the issue.

With MC6.x, the Kona card is now an operating breakout box. The audio is going out through the Kona, and I don't believe you can change that. Here are your options:

Attach speakers to the Kona. Sound!

Remove the Kona from the system. Avid will use the Mac output like you're used to. Sound!

The reason this changed from 5.5 to 6 is that, in 5.5, Avid ignored the Kona. Now it doesn't. I had the same issue with a Blackmagic card (currently have the issue, actually - I need to hook a mixer and speakers to the Kona).

Shut down your system, remove the Kona, reboot and start Avid. I bet you have audio playback.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 17, 2012 at 10:24:54 pm

Thank you so much. I will try this out tomorrow. Have to run to a meeting now. I'll let you know how it works out. And thanks again.

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 17, 2012 at 10:32:58 pm

Excellent information! I didn't know this. Why oh why has editing become so difficult. So many settings, so many hiccups. That's why we need these forums to keep us all informed! It's incredibly hard to keep up these days.

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:35:22 pm

Thanks to Michael Hancock I have resolved my problem. I plugged a set of speakers into my AJA board and, trumpets please, I heard the audio of my clip in MC 6.0.1. Now I will have to rethink my edit setup since I use audio for other software and the internet.

Is there a way that we can encourage Avid, in a future update, to fix this problem? I think it would be merely a matter of allowing the software to recognize other configurations than it now does.

Again thanks to all. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:54:26 pm

Glad that solved it!

I agree that there should be ways to bypass the Kona/Blackmagic outputs for audio (or video, if that would be helpful to people).

Avid has a feature request forum they monitor. You can find it here: http://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Stacy Lincoln
on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:40:39 pm

Glad you found an answer! Thanks Mr. Hancock!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:03:35 am

Do you have a Kona or Blackmagic card installed on your system? Matrox? Avid breakout box? It might be pumping audio out of them, and if they aren't hooked up to speakers you won't hear anything.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Frank Cervarich
on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:00:44 pm

I have a Kona LHi card. I will check to see what the story is on it. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:26:00 pm

You started out by saying you hope you have given us enough information...you haven't given us anything go on.
Mac or windows is a good start.
We know you have a kona, but you could help us by telling us how you have your suite wired. Are you using a mixer?. How do you think the wire path you have should be working.

If you can see the vu's but can't hear, my guess is a wiring setup is not correct. Your computer and sound card both need to be on the same page, as does your mixer and speakers.

From a settings standpoind, I would check your "audio project" settings and see if the "play mismatchd sample rates" is turned on. This will help if you do have a mismatch in sources vs project settings.

Check that your computer sound is using your kona for output. Check that your kona is using the correct audio settings, and that the correct cables coming out of the kona are going to your mixer

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]