FORUMS: list search recent posts

dragging audio clips to A3 & A4

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Jordan
dragging audio clips to A3 & A4
on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:44:27 pm

Need to preface my question first. I was an AVID editor for 10 years then went to FCP and Adobe. Now after 4 years, I am going back to AVID. I have an unbelievably easy question I know how to do everywhere else. How can I drag an audio clip to A3 and A4 from source mon? Or, how can I drag audio clip from A1 & A2 to A3 & A4? Don't just say click and drag it. The clips will not go anywhere except A1 & A2.

Return to posts index

Ben Wilson
Re: dragging audio clips to A3 & A4
on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:53:46 pm

For dragging, or inserting, from the Source Monitor, make sure you select the track(s) you want modified on your timeline. Those V1 A1 A2 A3 A4 TC1 buttons just to the left of your timeline are the select buttons for which tracks to edit. The column of those buttons at the far left represent the tracks that exist in the source clip (if you have one loaded). You can also drag the A1 source button down to the A3 timeline button and the same for A2 to A4 before making the edit and then disable the rest of the timeline(record) track buttons that you don't want over written.

When I was told to think of machine to machine editing with tape machines and those were the Source track enable buttons and the Record track enable buttons, it made sense.

I'm a little less familiar with dragging clips that already exist in the timeline from track to track as I don't do that very often and I get the A/V sync off real easy when I do that.

Ben Wilson
Engineering Project Manager
SCETV

Return to posts index

Terry Jordan
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:14:49 pm

Thanks for the input. That helps. I was not able to click drag (with the arrow) from source audio track A1&A2 to A3 & A4 audio tracks on the record side so that they "line" up. I may have found the answer.

I have created some audio tracks as stereo and others as mono. I deleted all audio tracks except 1 & 2 and re-created just A3 & A4 as mono only. Now I can drag the clips between the tracks.

This seems odd that I can not move audio clips between stereo and mono tracks. Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Apr 16, 2012 at 7:43:35 pm

[Terry Jordan] "This seems odd that I can not move audio clips between stereo and mono tracks. Is this normal?"

Yep. Mono only on mono tracks, stereo only on stereo.

Also, you should work on using the keyboard and source/record patch panels more. Editing with the mouse (that is, dragging from the source monitor to timeline) is a terribly inefficient way to edit in Avid and will give you a nasty case of carpal tunnel syndrome. You don't want that.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Terry Jordan
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:27:35 pm

Thanks very much for the advice.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:29:13 pm

If you came from premiere it should be similar...stereo to stereo...mono to mono

Glenn

Return to posts index

Terry Jordan
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:21:47 pm

Thanks. I've never had this stereo/mono issue in other programs. Must have just done it right without knowing. I sometimes use stereo when I need the PAN controls in projects. I always keep the same settings for importing/digitizing my sources. Thanks for the information.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]