FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exception: A serious error has occurred? And restarting doesn't work.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank Raposo
Exception: A serious error has occurred? And restarting doesn't work.
on Apr 13, 2012 at 1:21:00 am

I'm right at the end of project and I keep getting this warning: Exception: A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you immediately save your work and restart the system.

Ok, I've started and re-started 5 times. I've deleted my site settings, MC State, and Site Attributes. It's just when I try and play my main timeline that I get this error. I can grab the timeline indicator and drag it around and see video. When I hit the lock key, I can hear audio when I drag. But when I hit the play button on both the keyboard and the monitor play button, I get that error. I can open individual clips in the preview monitor and play them and I can toggle the timeline and play them. Other sequences play just fine but it's just that one sequence which happens to be my main timeline. I've tried creating another timeline and used the clipboard monitor to paste the offending sequence into a new one but I still get the same error.

I'm working with H.264 files from a Cannon T3i and used Link to AMA. I'm using an iMac 3.4 GHz i7, 16 GB or RAM and using Lion 10.7.3.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

quinnmcguee

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Exception: A serious error has occurred? And restarting doesn't work.
on Apr 13, 2012 at 1:33:09 am

Sounds like you corrupt media somewhere in the timeline.

You can try to find it by breaking it up into smaller increments and try to find the corrupt clip.

You might also just try to transcode your entire timeline to DNX145 and see if it plays.

Return to posts index

frank Raposo
on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:13:44 am

Thanks, I don't know exactly which clip it is but I've narrowed it down. When I delete a certain portion of my timeline, it plays. I might have to re-edit that portion with DNX media but it's not a very big portion of the timeline so it won't be too bad. But I'm wondering about something. Some of the clips in the portion I cut out are also being used in After Effects. Could that have anything to do with the corruption?

quinnmcguee

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:26:05 pm

Adobe adds metadata to media, which might be causing problems. I remember discovering this while trying out FCPX. You can turn off this behavior in Adobe applications in preferences,

Return to posts index

David Steiner
on May 1, 2012 at 2:44:49 pm

I had this bug when I re-rendered quicktime files from After Effects, with slightly different timings.

To solve the problem, I deleted the old clips, deleted their references in the timelines, and re-edited them. Not very handy, but it worked in my case...

good luck
D.

Return to posts index

Glenn Challenger
on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:33:12 pm

I just had this error as well. I accidentally fired up my Avid without turning on my RAID drive. All the media came up RED (offline). Ok, no biggie. Reboot the system.

After the reboot all of my media that was linked from Sony EX3 AMA files came back, but now I had this error and I couldn't play the timeline. Several restarts didn't fixed it, and I noticed that 10% of the clips in the timeline still showed offline. No coincidence- the offline clips were the shots that came from a Canon DSLR (Imported via AMA).

What eventually fixed it: I had to open each bin that contained the DSLR raw footage. After I opened the bin, the footage within it now showed up online on the timeline. I kept getting that error message as I went, but I just kept clicking OK. After I opened each bin with DSLR footage, the timeline no longer showed offline files, and now no more error message and a timeline that plays. :) I hope that helps anyone still having this issue.

I plan on transcoding the timeline to DNXHD, but want to finish the cut before I do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]