FORUMS: list search recent posts

Start in MC6 deliver in FCP via XML a workable idea?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Start in MC6 deliver in FCP via XML a workable idea?
on Apr 9, 2012 at 5:47:44 am

So a recent client wants me to cut his projects in FCP 7 as that is what he has. He shoots events in 5D, I transcode to Prores and cut away. Of course I prefer to cut in Avid as all my plugins are there and because I just prefer Avid. So the question is, how feasible is it to AMA in Prores, cut and then send the finished sequence to fcp via xml with the fx baked in?

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Start in MC6 deliver in FCP via XML a workable idea?
on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:44:30 am

Look into Boris Transfer and/or Automatic Duck.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 9, 2012 at 4:31:48 pm

[David Powell] " then send the finished sequence to fcp via xml with the fx baked in?"
Not very. You can get edits to transfer, and some transform info... but to bake in fx you'll have to do so manually.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 9, 2012 at 6:57:00 pm

Yes, I was assuming baking them in manually so they would be there in the transfer. I was curious if anyone thought this was a bad idea, or could foresee any potential pitfalls with this as a workflow.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:14:10 pm

Avid doesn't do XML...import or export. You'll have to use Automatic Duck...which is now free. And when you do that, you'll end up with a pile of MXF files and QT proxy files that POINT to those MXF files. You won't have stand alone QT files of the footage. You might need to MEDIA MANAGE at this point to convert things to ProRes QT files.

Is this really easy and straightforward? No. There isn't a simple click/done solution. You have to pay attention and finesse things, but it is doable. I had to go the other way quite often...use FCP but delivery Avid media files as a final deliverable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36:21 pm

So then if this isn't something I have to do, it looks like it isn't a good idea. My projects for this client include strictly 5d footage. No mixed frame rates. I would be using multi cam though, and I'm thinking that would be a potential problem. Looks like I'm stuck editing in FCP 7. Pity, I was hoping Mountain Lion would kill it :-)

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 17, 2012 at 1:43:27 am

I did some searching, and was trying to figure out if pro import 2.0 supports avid multi-cam?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:07:13 pm

The conversion is always finicky. Gfx and such ussually have problem. Speed changes and mixed format sequence tend to have issues as well. But it can be done. You'll have to watch down fcp carefully to make sure all is well.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 11, 2012 at 5:36:08 pm

If you use Boris Transfer FCP software to move the project sequence from FCP into MC or from MC into FCP, effects and timing changes are preserved, which makes it easy to continue the edit process even after the transfer. If, for instance, your client doesn't like a color treatment that you made using one of the BCC filters they can modify (or remove) the color treatment themselves as long as they have the corresponding BCC filter installed on their system.

For a complete listing of what is preserved and what is not in the transferred sequence, you can follow this link:

http://www.borisfx.com/AAF/FCPToAvid_FeatureList.htm

and

http://www.borisfx.com/AAF/AvidToFCP_FeatureList.htm

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:26:03 pm

Thanks Peter. I read the link and the only part I don't understand is how the multi-clip translates, which is a big deal, as I'm syncing 3 cameras. Could you expound on that a bit? Also if I used avid FX for a transition, Im guessing I would have to own Boris Red for FCP to make it work? Same as BCC fx? Are there issues with BCC8 being 64 bit plugins in Avid? I'm just assuming I'd have to bake those fx in anyway, since buying the package for FCP 7 doesn't seem like a wise investment for an EOL product at this point and is already too expensive for me if I have to purchase for both.

One last question related, is there a such thing as a rental program for Boris where you can pay a monthly fee for the package instead of $$$$ for owning both packages for Avid and FCP? That would be a great alternative for me if it existed.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 11, 2012 at 11:58:03 pm

FWIW, I've been using the Boris plugin for a couple of months now, and I'm very impressed with it.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 12, 2012 at 12:35:16 am

Yes I've been using bcc in Avid and Avid FX. I'm hoping that Boris transfer could work with this workflow so I can stop cutting in FCP 7 already.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:07:01 am

[David Powell] "Yes I've been using bcc in Avid and Avid FX. I'm hoping that Boris transfer could work with this workflow so I can stop cutting in FCP 7 already."

I'm sorry. I meant the transfer plugin. Its been pretty solid, going back and forth between 7 and 6.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]