COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack Bibbo
Cutting ProRes In MC6
on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:41:42 am

Project Started in FCP07.

I want to move over to MC6.

Shot RED converted to ProResHQ to Edit.

Honestly how is the ProRes codec in AVID? Does it want to covert to a MXF wrapper?

Good and Bad please.

thanks

j

PS too much footage to retransfer to MXF

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Cutting ProRes In MC6
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:01:57 am

Do you intend to go back to r3d at some point?

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:46:37 pm

Yes.

Cutting in the AVID OFfline online, Finish in SMOKE/FLAME.

I would take what has been done in FCP and bring it into AVID via XML.

jack

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:46:10 pm

Is there a reason you can't finish in FCP? Trying to convert a project is tricky when your media is the master... way trickier when you need to conform back to the original media later. Why the need to change horses mid stream?

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:15:17 pm

Only prep has begun.

Very large Project. FCP has hard time with large projects. Anything over 100mb for a project file in it SLLLLOOOW. Avid is more robust well back when I used it was. But Last job I did on it has been a year or so. So I assume it must AS robust.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:25:47 pm

If you haven't cut anything... then AMA to red footage and Transcode to DNxHD36. And edit away.

But trying to use an XML from fcp and work with your prores proxies... with the hope that they'll link back to r3d.... is a bit of a crap shoot.

The reason Avid tends to be better with large projects is because all your individual bins are sort self contained projects. So if they're not open the don't load into ram.

You can accomplish the same thing in FCP by having a separate project or projects with your media, and move your current cut of the sequence into a new project once in a while. There by clearing out all the ram ghosts.

Return to posts index

jack Bibbo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:43:03 pm

Too Much Footage to convert. 100+ hours that has already been converted.

I have done the each section of film gets a new project trick, dont care for it too much. I like everything
in one place. maybe OCD I dont know.

If figured that it would work better if it was in the AVID preferred codec just like FCP like ProREs

thanks

jack

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 6, 2012 at 9:10:20 pm

[jack Bibbo] "If figured that it would work better if it was in the AVID preferred codec just like FCP like ProREs"

Correct. That's why you should AMA r3d thereby establishing a link to source and then convert to DNxHD 36 for edit. No matter what you will have to convert 100+ hours of footage if you want to work in avid.

If you use the prores as your source. You will still need to convert. But you won't be able to easily reconform. And AMA should only be used for importing... it is sluggish and unstable special with large amounts of clips. So you'll still need to consolidate, and for best performance convert to dnxhd. Might as well do it from source and have easier time in online.

Best thing is stick with what u started. Don't waste hundreds of hours to switch horses mid stream.

Return to posts index

Michael Heldman
on Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14:22 pm

I am not on MC6 yet, but as I understand it, Avid can do a "fast import" and simply re-wrap the prores into MXF. This is much faster than transcoding.

Not sure about linking back to r3d, though. You should experiment. If the file names have not been changed, you may be able to link back.

Here is a thread I found:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/884070

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 7, 2012 at 4:39:38 pm

[i]as I understand it, Avid can do a "fast import" and simply re-wrap the prores into MXF.[/i]
True.

[i]This is much faster than transcoding.[/i]
Hardly. Transcoding ProRes to DNxHD is really fast.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:17:10 pm

And rendering prores in avid is much slower. All around avid works WAY better with DNxHD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]