FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating subtitles in avid - complicated?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
creating subtitles in avid - complicated?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:18:03 am

okay currently I am NOT using a computer with Avid installed on it but I remember doing subtitles in avid is kind of a pain in the ... I might be wrong and it's actually pretty easy. So please correct me.

I come from a Final Cut Pro background and adding text in Final Cut Pro is easy and fast (in my opinion). It goes something like this:

create text - write the text- drag it on to your time line - copy that thing around on your time line and click on it to change the text

Now here is how I would create my subtitles in Avid:

tools - title tool - Select TITLE and not marquee tool - Avid opens a new program INSIDE avid called TITLE TOOL - create a title in that title tool- SAVE the title inside one of your bins - CLOSE the title tool - FIND the bin you saved your title in - double click the title - get it into your time line
repeat this for new text because you can't just copy that clip around on your time line and alter it like you can in Final Cut

I might be wrong. It might be easy. Please share your wisdom with me. Thanks a lot :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: creating subtitles in avid - complicated?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 12:26:52 am

Make your title...use the SUBTITLE tool. It's in the same area of the EFFECTS tab as the timecode reader. Make your first subtitle. Mark IN and OUT including only that track. COPY that to your clipboard. Load that into the PREVIEW monitor...drop it in where you want it to go...change the text.

Fairly quick.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Apr 6, 2012 at 1:23:12 pm

That sounds great. Thanks a lot.

Sadly I have to admit I am too stupid for this / I have no idea where all of this is hiding so could you please give me an idiot guide?

The Effects tab is that purple icon next to Settings and Format and contains all my effects hence the name effects tab, right?

If that's so I can NOT find the Effect under which subtitle might be hiding. I have found: Generator - SubCap

do you mean this one? I couldn't figure out how this one works at all. I also have no idea where the timecode reader is hiding. A screenshot would help since I am quite lost.

Thanks a million :)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 11, 2012 at 2:19:08 pm

thats the spot. I've never used it, but in 10 secs of trying, here is what I figured out.

Drag the effect to your clip, or put it on an empty track up top.

Open your effects properties (tools effect editor)
open the area that says "caption text"
type your text
As soon as you start typing, a caption box appears on your screen. I'm sure you can take it from there.

Glenn

Return to posts index

raj singh
on Oct 4, 2015 at 5:26:38 pm

yes under generator > subcap

drag that on the area you want to subcap > open up the effects editors

in the effects editor enter you text in the "caption text" box, you will now see the text on the output window.

then use the text appearance area in the effects editor to adjust size and location

Return to posts index

ana charte
on Oct 1, 2015 at 9:12:06 pm

Sorry to interrupt but I'm in a hurry looking for an answer. I'm subtitling with AvidSubCap in Spanish and I'm having problems with the orthographic symbols. I've done it before in an other computer and it worked fine. Now, when I type an accent, p.e., the text disappears... May it be because of the font? I'm using Arial.
Thanks so much for any help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 1, 2015 at 11:16:37 pm

Type it in the master caption list and the individual caption area.

Michael

Return to posts index

ana charte
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:04:01 am

Thanks Michael, but I already tried that...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]