FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharpen blurry video image

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
Sharpen blurry video image
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:28:02 am

I've got some footage that to my horror was recorded slightly out of focus... say 10% blurry.

Is there an Avid or BCC plug-in I can use to sharpen this image? I don't seem to find one with my MC 6 system.

BTW, the material is HD 720p/50fps if that makes any difference.

What other alternatives do I have? I like to start with the free options (if they exist) before going to buying additional plug-ins that may provide solutions.

Thanks for any input.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Sharpen blurry video image
on Mar 29, 2012 at 9:44:10 am

BCC has Unsharp Mask. It adds countouring.

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:04:15 am

Hi Job:

Thank you for your response. I'm very hopeful now!

I've looked for this in my Effects Palette and I don't see a heading with this name. Can you tell me under what heading in the Effects Palette this plug-in is located? I am working with Avid MC6.

All the best.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:08:58 pm

Under the BCC Blur & Sharpen tab. Note that you need BCC8 under MC6. Any older version of BCC won't work (nor show up in the Effects Palette).

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:15:26 pm

Also, BCC doesn't come with Media Composer anymore. It's a separate purchase. If you have BCC5 from a previous version of Avid you can upgrade it. Also, Boris offers a free trial of their plugins so you can download that and test the Sharpen filter out to see if it will work prior to purchasing.

Also, look into Sapphire effects. They have Sharpen filters as well and you can rent them by the month (a lot cheaper than buying if you don't need them all the time). If you do rent, I recommend you mixdown anything with the effect on it, though, so when the month is up you aren't stuck buying again if the project has to come back online for something.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jacob Lanum
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:25:13 pm

Use the PAINT effect, its free and works very well in many situations

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 29, 2012 at 3:17:14 pm

If you don't want to purchase BCC 8, I believe the same Unsharp Mask filter is included in Avid FX (aka Boris Red), which is included free.

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:11:25 pm

Thanks to all the replies above about the blurry image fix.

I do not have BCC8. I have what came with my last AVID MC 6 purchase,which I acquired in January. I don't want to go and purchase more items now.

I may download a trial version to see how it works, as recommended above for these tools.

AVID FX, indeed is a tool I have, though I haven't delved into it too much. I see the Unsharpen Mask filter, and I'll have to experiment with it, so it seems. Not too familiar with how to move around this program, but time and some internet inquires should help be get going.

Again thanks for all the input.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]