FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching from Premiere to Avid ? ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lou cann
Switching from Premiere to Avid ? ?
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:02:31 pm

Hi all,
For the past 10 years, my partner & I have been using premiere for editing. I am getting sick of going to a post house and hear all of them keep asking me.."which are you using..Final cut or Avid?"
It sometimes becomes difficult to transfer files because "they" don't use Premiere and don't know the program.

So here's my problem if I switch to Avid:

In premiere, all I do is copy & past my clips from preimere into After effects an start working.
Do I now have to RENDER all of my clips in avid to send to AE?
Is there an easy way to work between Avid and after effects?
Or does avid have a better relationship with another VFX prgram that can do a Copy & past or dynamic link between the two?

What is the workflow with avid?

Thanks,
Lou

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Switching from Premiere to Avid ? ?
on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:10:10 pm

Look into the now-free Automatic Duck; it will create an AE comp out of an Avid edit timeline.

You can only use this trick if you run Avid & AE on the same machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 29, 2012 at 1:12:37 am

Automatic Duck is great if you want to transfer your timeline into AE and finish it there. Is there a way to go back to MC after? Ive never had to go back and only used it as a last step, so i ve never tried.

That said, you can do some of the same type of stuff in Avid Fx, which is basically Boris Red. Not nearly as elegant or robust as AE is but i can handle most basic comp stuff and titles, andAvid Fx comes with MC and works like a plug in within.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

lou cann
on Mar 29, 2012 at 4:06:02 am

Oh, ok so I'm "assuming' that the clips on the AE timeline are the native avid files? Or are they re-rendered in Autoduck?

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:57:37 am

In almost all of the Automatic Duck transfers I've seen or controlled, AD serves as an easy way to both preserve a timeline as well as transcode media to a codec that works well with the program you intend to transfer to.

In this manner, your question of whether it would create a new render of your working media is true, in a fashion. Auto Duck is essentially creating copies of your working media (with the optimal situation including only the clips you are actually using with handles, which is why a consolidation beforehand is highly recommended), while also giving you the tools to relink that media in the destination program.

This isn't something that you really need to worry about (except perhaps if disk space is an immediate issue) - as long as you familiarize yourself with proper AD protocol and codec equivalents (DNxHD 115 roughly is the same as ProRes 422, and so on), you need not worry about a loss in quality.

And if it makes you feel any better, there's actually a precedent for utilizing Premiere's jnterconnectivity with After Effects even when a project wasn't edited on Premiere! This example is slightly different, being that the film was originally edited on FCP, but you may want to check out this video about how the assistant editor on The Social Network used Premiere and AE to conform the final picture:

http://www.adobe.com/casestudy/creativesuite/production/the-social-network....

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

lou cann
on Mar 30, 2012 at 4:54:13 am

Hi,
Thanks for the video link. pretty cool. However, if I undestood him, he imported an EDL to Premiere. Once in premiere, he then had the use of AE.

This is where I get conflicted. Because on one hand,to have the ability to copy & paste Edits in AE WITHOUT any renders, is PRICELESS. but then on the other hand, the "STANDARD" in the bussiness is avid or FCP. I kind of feel like i'm using a system that will never be excepted by the pros.

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Mar 30, 2012 at 6:28:45 am

"if I undestood him, he imported an EDL to Premiere. Once in premiere, he then had the use of AE."

That's pretty much what I was recommending, via an Auto Duck transfer from Avid. That way, you're able to have that Avid project that your colleagues and associates seem to prefer (more on that in the next paragraphs), as well as the convenient integration of Premiere and AE. It certainly isn't the most preferable situation, given that it mandates creating more media, but it is a work-around that allows you to maintain a workflow that you're comfortable with.

In regards to your current system being accepted by pros, here's my advice: Utilize whatever tools suit your needs most conveniently.

Without getting into any sort of a debate about what is "THE" definitive NLE of the pros, as long as you are able to get your job done efficiently and understand how to accommodate for others' needs, use what you feel most comfortable using. Maybe that means sticking with your Adobe-centric workflow because that's what you know and works for you. Maybe it means that you'd feel more secure in the eyes of your peers by switching to the system that they find most useful. At the end of the day, it all comes down to a phrase colorists hear all the time: "Split the difference."

I don't know if you're familiar with him or his company, but long-time regular on the Cow boards Walter Biscardi recently wrote an article about how the fallout of FCP X has rattled the cages of his business, and concurrently, how it also rattled the cage of the NLE business itself. It's a good read that compliments both Premiere and Avid's recent developments, and also foreshadows the inevitable fact that while FCP 7 is still there and very much usable, it's not getting any younger. And it never will.

In the last couple of days, Walter followed up with a blog post you've likely seen on this forum detailing how his company is officially switching over to Avid as their primary NLE. That may seem like I'm making an argument for why you too should switch to Avid, but in fact it's almost the contrary - Walter & co. decided on this transition because it most efficiently and conveniently suited their needs, but those needs are not necessarily your own needs.

Sorry for the novel! Bottom line - If you're doing your job well and making other people's jobs easy, you're a pro, no matter what you use.

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]