FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 6.01 Scarlet workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miłosz Koziol
MC 6.01 Scarlet workflow
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:00:47 pm

My company is planning on buying RED scarlet for our daily jobs (documentaray, corporate and web production). I`m a FCP switcher and not only I`m new to AVID suite but also have no experience what so ever with RED cameras - I worked with F3 footage but its fairly the same XDCAM workflow Ive been familiar for years now. I work on mac (macbook pro i7 quad) and PC hp z400. Is ama going to suffice for basic editing? Should I later transcode to nx? How I conform back to 4 k image? Is it possible without redrocket? What about grading ( I love the way it works in Avid 6.0_)?

best regards

Milosz

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: MC 6.01 Scarlet workflow
on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:40:01 pm

This video will give you insight into all the ways you can work with R3D:

http://tinyurl.com/29ue8mm

It's an hour long, but worth your time.

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:46:01 am

Not tried the scarlet footage (happy to take a few short clips and test them out) but with the Red one and the Epic MCV6 support is realy good now.
On a fast machine like a Z800 with a fast media array I can get realtime playback of the R3D clips linked by AMA.
You have set source settings that allows RedCine-X type control over the RAW data and metadata maniplulation so you can AMA link the red clips. Make selects (and even subclip up)
Do a first Set source settings pre adjustment (important to show clips can be recovered or not)
Then for a short simple job just edit or for a longer job Transcode to offline or online res.
Final sequence re-links back to original Reds and you can tweak sources and then grade.
Unless you lay out direct to tape you will need to Transcode at the very end to make media you can export easily.
Do it a lot and it works really well. We even have workflow routes for slower editing systems if need be.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:09:47 pm

Pat- In this workflow you just described you say you relink back to the R3D to grade, what do you output your final file as to avoid losing color data? And are you grading in Redcine X or MC6? I only ask because I am working on something very soon with the EPIC, and would like to use AMA- transcode to DNx 36 for offline, then relink to AMA then send to a colorist via EDL, and hopefully output a final graded/conformed R3D or DPX? Not too experienced with this workflow.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:25:01 am

We very rarely deliver anything above 1920X1080 REC709
At best content will go to Digital Cinema and that's limited to 2048 pixels (2K) and 1920 isn't that far behind so it's far more cost effective to produce a 1920X1080 output and then scale anc colour space convert for DCI and have the ability to make file based and blu-ray outputs from the final timeline.
We can finish (and often do) in our DS systen which ties in nicely with the Symphony we have and from there we can output 2K or 4K as DPX but we just don't work with clients who can actually use a 4K output in any sensible way!
So no we don't need to use any external tools like RedCine. Just MC or Symphony. We have just finished setting up a Resolve workstation and that will be an alternative grading solution but again I expect 90% plus of our work will be rec 709 HD outputs.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]