FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync Locks

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandy shapiro
Sync Locks
on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:31:47 pm

Hi,

Im cutting a long form piece and Im having trouble keep the sequence in sync. when I use sync locks I notice that it makes an edit point in every track. so that isnt the solution as it cuts into pieces that i dont want affected.

what are some methods of keeping things in sync? also, what is the best way to separate a sequence into two pieces? would i just lasso the second half and separate?

as you can tell im moving from fcp. and im having trouble understanding empty tracks, etc.

thanks

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Sync Locks
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:31:49 pm

Sync locks are very useful, especially when you first start with Avid.

One thing to keep in mind is that unlike FCP, the empty space in your timeline is not empty....it's essentially black and you treat it like a clip. While it might seem annoying at first, it actually helps you keep in sync.

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:37:44 pm

Keeping Sync on complex sequences can be tricky. But the fact is, if you are inserting (as opposed to overwriting) or deleting (as opposed to lifting) material in the middle of a sequence on only some of your tracks, something in the other tracks have to give if you want to keep all your tracks in synch further down the timeline. Realize that you can selectively turn synch locks on for individual tracks, but at some point you'll have to fix the other tracks. One thing I'll do is place temporary locators in further down the sequence that help me re-align things on tracks that I know will slip based on the work I'm about to do. Again, as I mentioned a few days ago, learn the trim tool, it's very powerful.

To answer your second question, look up making "subsequences." There are at least two ways, and my current favorite is the "make subclip" button in the fast menu (or command palette, just move it onto the screen or keyboard). Mark an in point and an out point, highlight all the tracks you want, highlight a target bin and hit the "make subclip" button, and a new sequence appears.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Mar 17, 2012 at 7:49:03 pm

One other quick note, all those "edits" in the filler, you can get rid of them by highlighting the entire timeline and all the tracks, right-clicking on the timeline and "remove match-frame edits."

Also, while FILLER often results in black, it is NOT the same as black, I like to think of it more like a "window to the media one track below." Given that filler usually results in black on your screen, they can be used the same, but they are different. See me through the following scenario; Create 2 sequences, both with several video edits on V1, one of them with pictures and black inter-cut, another pictures and filler inter-cut. They look the same. Now call up another sequence with video on V1, take those two original sequence and edit them over the new sequence onto V2. They will play quite differently.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:12:44 pm

You're trimming and that's what's breaking sync, right?

Sync locks add black at the spot of the trim to keep other tracks in sync.

Unfortunately, if there is a clip in the way, it cuts the clip.

If you shift click you can add trim rollers to other tracks - matching the way your trim rollers are setup.

Also (in trim mode) you can opt-click and you'll add trim rollers to any black tracks matching your trim.

Building a sub-sequence is identical to sub clipping. Make an in/out and drag the tiny sequence icon in the upper right of your screen. You can also add the subclip button to your system.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

sandy shapiro
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:43:52 am

thanks, all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]