FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA clips linked once, but now are offline

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Ezard
AMA clips linked once, but now are offline
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:28:33 pm

We linked to AMA volumes, and the clips populated the bins. The next day, withou changing anything, the "media" is now OFFLINE. There has been some editing done. Can we get the AMA clips back online without starting over with the linking process?
Thanks very much.
Gary

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: AMA clips linked once, but now are offline
on Mar 17, 2012 at 4:41:46 am

Is your media still mounted?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 17, 2012 at 9:59:35 am

If the links been lost you will need to remount them.
Easiest is to creat a new bin and remount the folders into that. The media will pop back online in the original bins.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Gary Ezard
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:09:22 pm

This was my last resort. I am confused by your use of the term "remount." Do you mean to say that I need to redo the "Link to AMA volume" or "Link to AMA File?" The drive where the camera files reside never became disconnected. If I redo the linking, I will end up with a second bin full of linked clips. I assume I can then delete that bin, or put it into a folder in the project window, so as not to confuse it with my "original" clips.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 19, 2012 at 6:59:29 pm

Yes that's right buy re doing mount AMA volume to a new bin it will populate again. Bit this will bring the old bins clips back online. And as you say you can trash that bin when done or store away. No media is made or moved so its not an issue.
AMA volumes don't often drop off line as long as you make sure the drives are all online before you launch MC

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Kamau Bilal
on May 4, 2012 at 3:41:25 pm

I have had the same issue in the past two days working in MC6. Each day it seems files mysteriously unlink, not all of them but a portion of them and then I have to create a new bin and re-link to AMA, it creates a mess of a bin and I've found that if I try to delete these clips after importing the files will indeed go back offline.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 4, 2012 at 3:58:14 pm

[Kamau Bilal] "I have had the same issue in the past two days working in MC6. Each day it seems files mysteriously unlink, not all of them but a portion of them and then I have to create a new bin and re-link to AMA, it creates a mess of a bin and I've found that if I try to delete these clips after importing the files will indeed go back offline."

as long as the drives are spun up and online before you launch MC we've not had them drop off as a regular issue. Maybe once or twice in a 3 week edit.
But if you remount the AMA files into a new bin and that brings the clips in the original bins back online. Deleteing the new AMA clips shouldn't take the media offline again for the older clips. That can only be done by demounting the AMA volume. Don't forget if you close that bin and then outside MC move it elsewhere it's now effectively vanished just as if you'd deleted the clips but no media relationships have changed and any clips that had linked to the external media should (and I've always found they have) stay linked.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Kamau Bilal
on May 4, 2012 at 4:27:47 pm

Thanks for your response, I however am only coming into my project file after all of my disks are up and running. Im working from a server could that be an issue? As in, I mount and unmount drives from a server and my project file is housed on these servers as well.

Yesterday I was working on a sequence, finished and saved. Today I came in and the first three clips in that sequence were offline which happened the day before yesterday as well, not within that same sequence but just within some bins that I was working from.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]