FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping Long Form Sequence in Sync

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sandy shapiro
Keeping Long Form Sequence in Sync
on Mar 16, 2012 at 1:21:46 pm

Hi,

Im a FCP editor moving over to Avid. FCP makes moving the entire sequence around quite easy. Im cutting a long form piece in Avid, and when moving or adding the smallest piece of video in the middle of the sequence. and this just makes things quite difficult - it leaves too many sync issues, or doesnt let me physically move anything, etc. What is the easiest way to make a change in the middle without cutting into the other audio tracks - music, SFX - that lie underneath. Im using sync locks but that just makes alot of cuts in the other tracks and makes edits in music that doesnt cut together properly. i just want to edit in one piece and leave everything else the same. i take it im missing an easy step of the Avid way. Please help, Obiwan.

In FCP I can either manually grab the entire second half of the footage and move it down while deselecting my music underneath so it doesnt move, extend the piece I want and then join them back together. Is there any easy way to do this in Avid or is editing in Avid a completely different method? Im seeing many similarities, but when making the slightest change in the center of a 20 minute piece, its just a nightmare.

thanks,

sandy

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
Re: Keeping Long Form Sequence in Sync
on Mar 16, 2012 at 1:42:14 pm

Quite frankly there's lots of ways to make happen what you want. Since terminology is typically the biggest stumbling block, I'd suggest you use the help files on the term "Sync-Lock." I'd also suggest you play around with the "Trim Tool" including learning how to shift-click on the roller points, both left and/or right sides of various tracks at different points on the timeline simultaneously. For example, if you are trimming at one point in your sequence on V1, A1 and A2 for dialogue and nats, you can at the same time click on an edit point further down the timeline on A3/4 after your current music bed.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

sandy shapiro
on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:37:33 pm

hi,

i just used the shift click command. thanks. any other thoughts on how to easily move or edit in clips while staying in sync? can anyone give me an example of their process?

i do understand it is a language issue here. hope my message is crossing over.

thanks,

sandy

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:12:19 pm

I tend to cut my sequences with lots of overlapped audio and music, so moving parts of those around can be be quite a hassle.
My main way of moving cut sections around is by making gaps in the sequence with the 'select from here to end' tool with all the tracks selected. I move the sequences apart until there are no overlaps, extract sequence to be moved by 'extract to the clipboard' (alt-x), re-insert where desired, then close everything up with the trim tool.
I also work by making of copies of my sequences, and working on those, so I can easily go back and re-establish sync from a previous version if I've lost it seriously.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 17, 2012 at 11:14:05 pm

There's a button on your timeline, that looks like an arrow with two clips underneath. It'll let you move all your clips to the right.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

sandy shapiro
on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:32:35 am

what is the name of the button? sounds like its what i need. thanks! i'll map it to my keyboard.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:21:48 pm

Something like Select all clips to the right, and select all clips to the left. But seriously, read up on "asynchronous trimming." Once you've gotten your head around that, you'll never need anything else. If I want to open a gap in a timeline I add an edit to an empty track above the timeline (remember, in Avid the empty spaces on your timeline still mean something; they can be grabbed, moved, trimmed, and effected -- analogous to leader in the days of film), then set my asynchronous trim rollers exactly the way I want them and open up a gap, leaving EVERYTHING in exactly the place I want it to be. I can then add in shots, etc, and close up the sequence with the same trim tool. extremely powerful and infinitely flexible.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]