FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any tips for moving clips easily around in the timeline.in MC 5 FCP user learning AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cammie Noel
Any tips for moving clips easily around in the timeline.in MC 5 FCP user learning AVID
on Mar 15, 2012 at 5:07:57 am

Hi,
Am so used to FCP and am hating learning curve with MC.Started over a year ago and gave up. Now i must learn MC. Have MC 5 . Any tips for easily moving clips around in the timeline? I am so used to just dragging things around in FCP. Ugh
Thanks in Advance.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Any tips for moving clips easily around in the timeline.in MC 5 FCP user learning AVID
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:14:26 am

you can always use the smart tool, the red arrow will give you the behavior your looking for. Or by default i think its mapped to shift "A", then just click hold and drag wherever, holding down command to snap in place if you want it to.

alternatively you can press "T" to select a clip or set in and outs around multiple clips and hit "+" or "-" and however many frames/seconds numerically you want to move the clip(s). This will effect whatever tracks are active on the side panel.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Any tips for moving clips easily around in the timeline.in MC 5 FCP user learning AVID
on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08:06 am

MC6 has exactly the dragging around function youre asking about.
Personally, the differences between FCP and AVID in real terms are very slight. The buttons change shape and some of the terminology changes, but by and large the way you edit and story tell in both is much the same.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Mar 15, 2012 at 2:55:39 pm

MC 5 has it too.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Cammie Noel
on Mar 15, 2012 at 5:27:09 pm

Thank you ! : )

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:19:19 am

Actually, my advice is to stop trying to make Avid act like Final Cut. They are different animals (although Avid is trying to add functionality to ease the curve for FCP folks). As soon as I quit trying to force Media Composer to act like something else, and started to understand WHY it does things the way it does things, it became second nature. Eventually you'll have your ah-ha moment, and if you're like many others, you'll never look back. I can't imaging cutting on anything else now, it's that second nature.

Good luck.

Chris

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:25:12 am

We've been delivering FCP to Avid training for some time now and it's really popular since the FCP "upgrade"
It's well worth a few days training by an instructor who knows both and can teach the cross over skills.
If you don't learn the best way to work with avid you will always struggle against it.
Almost everyone who dies the cross training leaves really appreciating what Avid does best.
We also do a number of specific Avid courses do cover the AMA ingest and export stuff that is increasingly powerful yet complex to get to grip with at first.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Cammie Noel
on Mar 20, 2012 at 10:09:06 pm

Hey Pat thanks, i would LOVE to take that course and go to the UK as well! If some miracle happens to my budget i will come straight away!
;D

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:54:18 pm

As the others have said there are many ways to move things around in avid.

One I use a lot is to mark the section required, and select the tracks you want to move on the left hand track selectors, ( they will be in the highlight colour, which used to be pink, now its a blue not that different to the timeline, I change this in the interface setting to something I can easily see)

then alt-copy, or alt-lift, this will put your "sub-sequence" into the source window, beware if you now select a new source clip you can loose it.
Drag the sub-sequence to a bin if you may need it again.

You can then insert or overwrite into the timeline where and onto which tracks you want.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]