FORUMS: list search recent posts

! Digitizing DVD to AVID roadblock!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Khoren Mirzakhanian
! Digitizing DVD to AVID roadblock!
on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:57:20 pm

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Trying to digitize a DVD into AVID using a Nitrix DX box.

DVD player is hooked up straight to the box through component cables, and RCA to XLR coupler for audio ch 1 & 2.

I'm not getting any signal to Avid itself. Video is selected to HDComponent & XLR Audio. Video 1 and Audio tracks 1 & 2 selected.

I have tried capturing at 1080i/59.94 1080i/29.97 720/29.97 and 30i NTSC.
Just a blue screen in the capture window

any advice?
and please don't tell me to rip it, need to know why I can't digitize through component DVD player

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ! Digitizing DVD to AVID roadblock!
on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12:03 am

Is this a commercial DVD? Those have copy protection that will also inhibit capture into the Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:34:17 am

hmmm, did not think about that.

It is a commercial DVD but client has the rights to use certain parts of it in their piece.

So copy protection can block component signals into avid? I figured it's the same as hooking it up to a TV, plug in the dvd player, play the dvd and crash digitize.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:39:38 am

Copy protection can block component...yes. To keep people from dubbing the DVD to another to keep, or capturing onto a hard drive to keep. TVs have built in decoders that decode the copy protection.

The best way to bypass it is to download VLC player, that has ways to bypass that protection, and then rip the DVD with MPEG Streamclip to an Avid codec.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Khoren Mirzakhanian
on Mar 15, 2012 at 1:21:39 am

Thanks Shane,

Doing just that right now. My hopes were to upscale the dvd through the dvd player. Setting it to play on a 16:9 "tv" and digitizing it in 1080i HD into AVID.

But I guess this would do, unless client decides to pay for HDCAM master. hah

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:47:22 pm

I may be way off base here but if this is a "DVD", then your player is upscaling to HD component out? That would be the only way you can capture HD from a DVD as opposed to Blu-ray.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:33:48 am

Interestingly your clients DVDs copy protection isnt even legally "breakable" by them or you even if they have the rights to it. The agreement for producing the copyrighted DVD explicitly denies anyone the right to break that protection. Mute point at a practical level but as an editor it better to not offer to break laws!
If you get a component HD signal out that a monitor can show then adding an HD TBC may solve the problem.
But it's far easier to use something like TMPENG that has a neat DVD import wizard that lets you select the section you want and the choose an HD avid codec as export at HD frame size.
If copy protection is an issue there are tools around like DVDshrink that can make an unprotected copy (and not recompress) but using something like that is illegal of course so I can't suggest it.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]