FORUMS: list search recent posts

One frame offset when editing with Decklink to SRW-5500

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Goodney
One frame offset when editing with Decklink to SRW-5500
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:28:17 pm

We're using MC 6.0.1 on a MacPro with a Decklink card. When we do an insert edit on a SRW-5500, the video is offset by one frame. The edit starts at the correct place on the tape, but the video is a frame late. e.g. if we burn-in timecode on the AVID and do an insert at 01:00:00:00 the first frame that ends up on the tape has 01:00:00:01 in the burn-in.

When using the same deck and a Nitrus DX we have no problems.

This seems like the Avid is compensating for a one frame delay that isn't present??? Any ideas on how to fix things? We tried playing around with the settings in 'Deck Preferences' but nothing seemed to make any difference.

thanks!

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: One frame offset when editing with Decklink to SRW-5500
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:33:54 pm

In fcp you adjusted in the deck control configuration...... deck settings in Avid don't support this. BMD unlike Nitris does not output embedded TC, so you could just adjust your in point in timeline... to compensate. Watch out though, the Qt drivers, used to fluctuate the offset. We had to check it every layoff. Avid uses different hooks so I don't know if that applies.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:17:33 am

Are you sure you have a Trisync reference to the Avid that matches the one to the VCR?
This can cause a frame shift.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Andrew Goodney
on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:33:32 pm

Re: sync... yes. The Decklink and SRW are fed directly from the same Yellowbrick sync generator.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 27, 2012 at 8:48:54 pm

You may be able to trick it by messing with the machine template. In Applications / Avid Media Composer / Supporting Files / Machine Templates, you can find the file for the specific machine that MC references when you do an Auto-Configure on machine control. There are some settings, but I couldn't guess which one to change to adjust for offset, but you might find something in there.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:29:24 pm

I'm pretty sure the machine template won't help.
The only setting that relates to delay is the edit delay and that's not related to time offset. Don't forget the decks just doing what it's told frame accuratley. Any offset will need to be MC controlled.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Oct 18, 2012 at 8:31:49 am

I have a similar problem with a hdcam m2000 deck

I am tape editing ( yes some people still do) using a bve2000 as controller

The m2000 always edits 1 frame late ( a edit synchronised at 10:00:00:00 edits at 10:00:00.01) on the in and out (in accurate sync mode)

The machine constants are correct ( although changes do not effect the edit point)

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:42:34 pm

[steve knattress] "The machine constants are correct ( although changes do not effect the edit point)
"

then I don't think they can be correct ;-)

if they start ff ff AND there is no entry in the vtrc25 or vtrc30.idt file or in the ROM then the bve uses a BVH3000 as the vtr constants.

the first 4 hex digits have to match what the vtr reports itself as for the rest of the manual entry to be used.

(I can't believe I still remember that - I could really use those brain cells at my age)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]