FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice new edit system

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Allen
Advice new edit system
on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:38:09 pm

Hi All.
I'm new here and a post rookie. Just wanted to ask for some advice. We have a canon 7d and will be shooting different projects and I wanted to setup my own editing system here at the house. I already have the Avid software.

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap laptop and storage options with decent speed.

Also, I heard that if you use an external sound device, there's been trouble syncing to the canon footage. Is this true?

Thank you for any help.
Best,
Brett

Return to posts index

Michael Jordan
Re: Advice new edit system
on Mar 10, 2012 at 2:48:33 am

Well, I can find you a $10,000.00 storage solution that would work great. ;) Do you have a general idea of how much you're willing to spend?

At the very basic level, you should certainly find a laptop with a 7200 RPM hard drive. Even better would be a 7200 RPM external drive of some sort. If you're doing this as a hobby, that will probably do you fine.

Also, I heard that if you use an external sound device, there's been trouble syncing to the canon footage. Is this true?

I haven't encountered this (I don't work with DSLR stuff that often), but I could see it as a possibility if you're working directly with the H.264 files off the camera via AMA. In your situation, if you're using a laptop, I would definitely recommend transcoding all the footage to DNxHD upon import for much better performance and to avoid any syncing problem.

Return to posts index

Brett Allen
Re: Advice new edit system
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:46:49 am

Hi MJ. I never thought you would go into post production after retiring from the Bulls. Surprise.

I've been more of a producer/line producer/writer and haven't been too involved in the tech. side, at least not in detail, more in the general sense. Recently, we bought a 7d to do short projects...maybe documentaries and so forth and to practice editing and directing. So, at this point, I would call it a hobby or just above a hobby and want to spend the minimum price. Later, we'll see how it goes and may upgrade.

Thanks for the advice...appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]