FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uprez out of sync. Way out

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Maghran
Uprez out of sync. Way out
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:56:30 pm

I'm currently uprezing an hour long XDCAM disk timeline. We believe that some of the footage was shot non drop, and some drop, as we see the : and ; symbols both apparent. Anyways, when uprezing to 59.95 DNxHD 145, one of the cameras slips way out of sync, I mean over my 60 frame handles. Any ideas of what to do?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Uprez out of sync. Way out
on Mar 6, 2012 at 4:46:06 pm

Kind of defeats the point of offline/online, but as a test....can you capture one of the problem disks completely and see if the problem goes away?

Drop/non drop should not make a difference in offline/online, provided the timecode flavor is read correctly in both offline and online.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Mar 7, 2012 at 4:20:42 am

I didn't think it should make a difference, what do you mean by tc flavor?

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Mar 7, 2012 at 11:32:26 pm

John- if you're still checking here I tried to simply capture one of the disks, it gave me the "Exception: A drop frame tape was inserted. A non drop frame was expected."

I have been uprezing a 1 hr sequence from 15:1s to DNxHD 145 in a 1080/59.94 project.

While uprezing, the "B CAM" clips from 2 different days were giving the error "Exception: A drop frame tape was inserted. A non drop frame was expected."

Co-incidentally these are the only tapes that have a .DF appended to the end of the tape name, as if they've been modified previously. So what we did was just modify>set drop-nondrop>nondrop, so the appendage is now .NDF on the tape name. Then batch captured those clips.

When watching the sequence down after the uprez, these clips we did the modify procedure on are now out of sync in the timeline. I have thought of going back and just giving all these clips new tapes, but there are hundreds of subclips grouped with AUX TC that would be affected.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 8, 2012 at 4:31:57 pm

So what we did was just modify>set drop-nondrop>nondrop, so the appendage is now .NDF on the tape name. Then batch captured those clips.
"

It sounds like you have a mix of drop and non drop on the same disc.

If you have the storage space, I would recapture the the discs you are having problems with, in their entirety.

In theory, if you do that, it should handle the timecode the same way that was done in offline....which hopefully will take care of the problem. Otherwise, you are going to have to go through your offline cut and and try to find which clips are drop and which are non drop.

Hoping someone else has some ideas....because I am out of them. Hope you are not stuck eye matching everything.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Mar 8, 2012 at 9:08:22 pm

I've seen instances where part of your tape is NDF and another part is DF. However, if you insert the tape and it starts spooling over NDF it will give you the warning. If you manually shuttle the tape the timecode of the clip you're looking for, and then batch capture, it will start spooling over all DF timecode and you should be good.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:21:00 am

[Richard Sanchez] "'ve seen instances where part of your tape is NDF and another part is DF. However, if you insert the tape and it starts spooling over NDF it will give you the warning. If you manually shuttle the tape the timecode of the clip you're looking for, and then batch capture, it will start spooling over all DF timecode and you should be good.
"

That works with tape...but he's using XDCAM discs.

Maybe try capturing using the XDCAM deck in machine control mode.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:45:11 pm

Well, it wasn't the easiest or more convenient fix, but we went back and re-decomposed all the footage in a non-drop frame timeline.

When re batching in all the NDF material, it synced up. I then sub-sequenced out all the NDF material on 2 video tracks and layed it into the master sequence. The vast majority of the footage was drop frame.

I think the damage was done from the start when we grouped it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]