FORUMS: list search recent posts

Symphony 6.0.1 and DeckLink HD Extreme 3D Freeze on playback

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yair Oren
Symphony 6.0.1 and DeckLink HD Extreme 3D Freeze on playback
on Mar 5, 2012 at 5:03:48 pm

Hi,
I Have the above set up with 8GB Ram,Quad Core 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX580 and Windows 7 64bit. As I know It's good enough for Avid Symphony. The Big problem I'm having is that The Symphony Freeze a lot when I'm hitting Play. Then I need to restart the software. It happens a lot and I have no Idea why. I tried to change the card setting,render, even went back to 6.0. Nothing helps. Any Ideas?? help....

Thanks
Yair

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Symphony 6.0.1 and DeckLink HD Extreme 3D Freeze on playback
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:11:29 pm

Might help to know what you are trying to play. Captures,ama links, native h264?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 5, 2012 at 8:19:22 pm

Hi Glenn,
I'm playing HD material 1080i, XDCAM camera cards were trascoded to XDCAM EX 35Mbits and HDV tapes were transcoded to DNXHD 120. I can say that with same materials and with Avid Symphony 5.5 I had no problems at all.
Thanks
Yair

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:41:10 pm

Might indeed be a symphony problem. I'm running MC6.01 with the blackmagic Extreme 3d and having no such problem. Might a reinstall be in order?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 6, 2012 at 3:52:02 pm

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for your replay.
I just uninstalled and install the DeckLink.
So far so good...
I'm new to the Blackmagic Extreme 3d,
Can you tell me what do you think of it's performance?
Thanks
Yair

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:51:38 pm

@Yair: I've been having the same issue and traced it to faulty Decklink (Desktop Video) version 9.1 drivers. Installing older 9.0 fixed it. Also, you need to "initialize" the Decklink card using the Capture Tool (select Blackmagic for Source, select V, deselect TC, set a name for the Tape Name, and briefly press Capture (flashing red)).

Doing this works around whatever the issue is. Hopefully they will fix this in 9.2

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:34:22 pm

Hi Alex,
Thanks for your replay.
I uninstalled the Desktop Video driver version 9.1 and installed 9.0 as you said but Unfortunately it didn't help. I'm still getting a software freeze(white screen) when i play the sequence and then I have to restart Symphony manually.
Sadly the only thing that helped was uninstall the driver and remove the card from my computer, then the problem was solve and there was no freezing of Symphony at all!
Tommorow I'm taking my computer and the Blackmagic card to my diller and see if the card is defect or Avid is not really supporting Blackmagic Decklink card.
Thanks
Yair

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:47:48 pm

Do the Capture Tool workaround as I described it and it will work. It is hard to say which one of AVID or BM is at fault - maybe both. I lean on AVID. In Symphony 6.0.0 I had to reinitialize the board with the Capture Tool everytime after switching back and forth from Source/Record to Color Correction. In 6.0.1 one initialization (before the first timeline playback) is enough, so it is a modest improvement.

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:45:45 am

Hi Alex,
I'm sorry I just tried again everything you said including initialize the Decklink card using the Capture Tool, and still the Symphony freeze on playback for no reason.
I'm on my way to my dealer.
Hope replacing the card will help.
Thanks again
Yair.

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 13, 2012 at 10:42:08 am

I don't think a replacement will make a difference but do let us know. My Decklink works fine in Premiere and FCP, it's only in AVID that I need to "initialize" it. It's most likely a combination of AVID issues and BM driver issues. We'll see if 9.2 drivers fix any of this.

Return to posts index

Jacob Nephi Griffith
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:56:30 am

I agree with Alex. I am having the same problem. Decklink 3D works in other applications but it crashes on playback in Symphony 6. I will go home and check Media Composer 6. I suspect it will do the same thing. I will also try the workarounds that you've described. Please keep us updated on your progress, Yair and Alex.

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:46:53 pm

You need to get to the point where you record FROM the Decklink (Blackmagic) interface, even if you don't have any video source connected. Do that for 1-2 sec (flashing red button) and then you're all good. Keep the Capture Tool handy. In 6.0.0 I would keep it minimized and go through the workaround everytime when switching to/from Source/Record -- Color Correction.

6.0.1 is...improved (but you need to use 9.0 drivers!), I would generally only do this once. Either Symphony or MC - makes no difference - it's the same codebase on third party I/O.

BTW it's not only the top-end card (Extreme 3D+), I also have the Intensity/Intensity Pro and it's the same story. I expect the entire Blackmagic range to have this issue, which is in fact AVID's (new code for 3rd party I/O rushed through QA).

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 13, 2012 at 6:43:33 pm

Hi Alex and Jacob,
Well I came back from my diller with another Blackmagic card called DeckLink SDI, a small and simple card that worked fine at the lab (with my computer) but at home the freeze came back. You can imagine how desperate I am now. The idea was to let them have some more tests to my Extreem 3D card and for now keep working with the DeckLink SDI. We made some tests to my card with my computer to show them the freezing(my computer "didn't let me down" he froze after 2 seconds) Then we took some of my editing material to the computer in the lab with my card and it actually worked. It was slow but didn't freeze. The computer in the lab has I7 Prossecor and 8GB DD3 RAM, I have Quad Core 9550 2.8 Ghz and 8 GB DD2 Ram.I have Nvidia FX 580 card and they have a quite simple GeForce card. I don't know if the specs difference has any relevance or simply we didn't check for enough time at the lab to start having those freezes.

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:09:14 pm

man I keep telling you it's not BM it's AVID (or at least BOTH), and it affects the entire range of Intensity/Decklink products.

Return to posts index

Yair Oren
on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:35:15 pm

Hi Alex
You were and are right!
The problem was that I had to let my diller see it for him self and I was after 3 days of trying to fix it and no results, even your way didn't help me.
I'm still in a dead end situation. My next move before going back to 5.5 is to format my system hard disk, install Windows and Avid only and see what happen.
I'm still waiting for Blackmagic support to give me some answers. They asked me for all of my computer details and the formats I use. The only thing he said was that XDCAM Formats are very heavy on the system. I don't think it's true because I'm using the same materials for 4 months now (Symphony 5.5 and 6 before Blackmagic) and never had any problems.
Yair

Return to posts index

Alex Maranda
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:53:00 pm

5.5 doesn't support third party I/O at all, so the Decklink would not work there anyway. If all you want is playback (without external monitoring) simply remove the Decklink card from the system and AVID will behave.

There is absolutely no point in reinstalling Windows. Reinstalling AVID *may* help.
Check that you have the following versions:
Quicktime 7.7.1 (latest)
Desktop Video 9.0 (Decklink drivers - only 9.0 works, and NOT 9.1)
MC/Symphony 6.0.1

Sounds like you spoke with a level 1 support guy. XDCAM argument is bogus, at least for playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]