FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easy way to keep track of successful transcodes after crash?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Easy way to keep track of successful transcodes after crash?
on Mar 4, 2012 at 8:07:21 pm

So I'm transcoding thousands of clips (9 TB of HD) for an offline workflow (I want to edit on the road).

The transcode crashed in the middle (after hours). I imported the clips from the database to see which were done and which weren't. Unfortunately it's in no particular order and I would have to do A LOT of manual selection to find out which clips were not transcoded.

Isn't there a way to reselect all the clips, start the transcode and say 'ignore the ones that are already on the destination"? I thought that was the default (that it wouldn't overwrite the ones that had already been transcoded) unless one checked "Include reformatted clips already at target resolution"?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Easy way to keep track of successful transcodes after crash?
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:18:16 am

If the transcode is making .new clips, you can sort by NAME and see which clips don't have .new next to them and continue transcoding those

Michael

Michael Phillips

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:42:22 am

Hey Michael,

Well the new transcodes .new02 to 28:1 SD (for offline) are made from DNxHD175x clips that already have the .new01.

I sorted by video format and color coded all the 28:1, then sorted by NAME and the ones with a color coded match are not to be transcoded...

Still, it's a lot of manual selection on thousands of clips. Especially since the ones that got transcoded are all over the place.

I just wish I could select all, transcode and choose to skip the ones that have already been transcoded.

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 1, 2015 at 1:12:40 am

Did you ever find a better solution to this? Media Composer seems to randomly fail when transcoding, and it would be great to be able to "resume" it or automatically skip clips that have already been transcoded.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:10:35 pm

go to your AvidMediaFiles/mxf/1 folder and sort by date. That should tell you what clips are the newest (most recently transcoded)

Move those to a "2" bin.

Save

Let Avid build a database for the "2" folder.
Drag that database into your bin with all the clips that you are transcoding.

Sort by name

You can now see what is and isn't transcoded. Select what you need and tell it to continue transcoding.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 1, 2015 at 4:37:19 pm

That idea sounds like it could work. One question: What exactly do you mean by "Drag that database into your bin with all the clips that you are transcoding"?

I don't quite understand that. Does that mean I would drag the 2 folder from Windows Explorer into Media Composer?

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 1, 2015 at 5:56:54 pm

When avid launches it checks/adjusts/creates a database in any numbered folder within the MXF/"number" structure. The file is called msmMMOB.mdb

Inside Avid, you can either create a new bin called "transcodes" or use the bin that contains all the clips you were already transcoding.

From the finder level or explorer level, manipulate your way to the mxf/2 folder you created described in the above post.
Basically, you have avid running underneath your finder screen, but you can see them both at once.

From the finder/explorer window, drag the msmMMOB.mdb file into the avid bin. Yes...you are dragging from outside an Avid program, into the Avid program.

This will populate the bin with every clip that is in the "2" folder.
You have already ensured that the 2 folder only contains the media that was created and "lost" due to the crash.

You can now identify which clips have been transcoded, and which clips haven't.

Yes it does work...I do it all the time when crashes occur.

At the end of the process, you can feel free to drag those files back to the 1 folder, to keep your entire project together. Avid will simply rebuild the database in the 1 folder, and the clips that were created above will stay online, invisible to anyone that they have in fact changed from the 2 to the 1 folder.

Take it a step further, once you have all your media in place, and rename your 1 folder to "project X Media" Avid will continue to read the database inside that folder, and access the media. You will however not be able to create or move any new mediafiles into that folder. (Letters in the folder name make it read only by Avid Standards) If you want to refresh the database in that folder, because you have added more files to it, you have to briefly rename it to 2, or 3 or 666 or 123456...anything with numbers only. Avid will scan it and refresh the database. Once done you can then safely rename it back to "project x Media"

I use this method to keep all my projects separate and organized for backups.

At the end of a session I typically rename my 1 folder to "project X working files" When I jump to that project again, I rename which ever project I'm on to "1". This becomes where all the renders and incidental file creation for a particular project goes.

When I go to archive, I have a folder called "Project X Media" and "Project X working files" They get archived with the project and taken off the box.

I would ofcourse always have the option of combining those two folders together, changing them to a number allowing Avid to refresh the database, and then renaming that folder to "Project X Media" and archiving it all as one folder.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 2, 2015 at 1:51:59 pm

Ive been doing that dance with the AvidMediaFiles folder for years even as far back as Meridien.
You would think by now they would have came up with a real solution.

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 2, 2015 at 4:41:12 pm

Awesome, Glenn. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I think that might save me a lot of hassle down the road.

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 2, 2015 at 5:30:44 pm

I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Already, without using your approach, if I sort by name within my bin I can see which files have been transcoded (since they have .new.01 attached to the file name). I can then select all and deselect the .new.01 files, to avoid retranscoding them. This of course is a hassle to manually select/deselect the files each time.

Doesn't your approach end up with the same result? If I'm adding the already-transcoded files into the same bin with ALL of the files, then I can sort by name and see my original clip (say 20151102) and my transcoded clip (20151102.new.01). The trouble is I would still have to manually deselect all of the .new.01 files to avoid re-transcoding them.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:32:05 pm

What you are missing is the idea that the original poster had his system crash during the transcode process, and his bin didn't save with the clips labeled .new

The media had been created, but his bin isn't showing him which files had or hadn't been completed, due to avid shutting down before it could save.

The original question was how to figure out what media had been transcoded, even though the bin didn't get populated.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 5, 2015 at 7:33:14 pm

Sorry, I missed that! I'll start a new thread. Thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]