FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid filename limit?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andre delena
Avid filename limit?
on Mar 2, 2012 at 12:57:22 pm

Does anyone know how to get around the export file name character limit in Avid MC5? I'm trying to transition from FCP on a 3 year old Mac Pro workstation. We have everything working fine, Avid, Interplay, etc but I can't seem to export Quicktime files with names longer than 27 characters?? It's absolutely killing one of our workflows which is time sensitive (so exporting to the desktop and renaming puts a real kink in it?!) None of our Windows workstations have this problem and I've been using this same workflow on this particular computer for several years so it's not the Mac. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Avid filename limit?
on Mar 2, 2012 at 2:05:17 pm

Unfortunately even if you check on the "allow filenames to exceed 27 characters" in the settings / general area, file exports still get limited to 27 characters. There is no way to fix this right now.

I am reporting this to avid as a bug. I've been annoyed by it in the past too, but have simply learned to work around it for now.

Return to posts index

andre delena
on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:26:42 pm

Daniel,
Thanks for the reply. I suspected that but was putting a call out on some forums just to make sure.

Andre

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Mar 6, 2012 at 1:51:01 pm

The other problem I often find is that because the bin is stored as a file, its length cannot also cannot be longer.

With Client's naming systems often a bin name will need the project name, edit suite, date and then use (EDIt, Music etc.)

This often is "too" long.

Can this be changed too?

Return to posts index

andre delena
on Mar 6, 2012 at 2:02:07 pm

Steve,
I believe under "General Settings" you can check an option that allows Avid to use filenames longer than 27 characters. It doesn't seem to effect filename lengths on export though? I haven't tried longer bin or sequence names though so you might want to give that a go.
I posted this same question on the LinkdIn Avid group. Mark Chesak says you can leave that field checked and un-check "Use Windows Compatible Filenames" and that will allow you to export files with names longer than 27 characters (if I'm reading him right, always a possibility that I'm not ;o)
I will say, I have not been able to test this. Not going back to work until later this week.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=121621&type=member&item=9858601...

Andre

Return to posts index

Bruce Dixon
on May 23, 2017 at 3:51:34 pm

If the Media Composer export dialog still limits you to 27 characters, try the 'Send To' dialog instead of 'export'. Send to has allowed longer filenames for many years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]