FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to do with the MXF files in old MC projects?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Lundin
What to do with the MXF files in old MC projects?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 7:53:32 pm

Hi! :)

I like importing via AMA, but it's not stable and it doesn't feel so good when I edit with it on my computer (although my computer is not that bad). That is one of the reasons I don't like MC, because on Premiere it works fine.

However, I guess the solution is to do it the old way and import it, so that MXF files are created on my harddrive. But then I have on question about that. I like to save my old projects because it's nice to go back and look and see what I did and so on. But the MXF files are a pain to have since they take up a HUGE amount of GB on the harddrive.

How do you guys that work with AVID on your home computer deal with this? Can you delete the MXF files and then link to AMA and look at the old projects?

This is a reason that I have why I shouldn't work in AVID, but I would really like to get a good solution to this so that I can work in AVID without having to worry about this! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What to do with the MXF files in old MC projects?
on Mar 1, 2012 at 8:43:34 pm

[Benjamin Lundin] "That is one of the reasons I don't like MC, because on Premiere it works fine. "

Premiere and Avid are designed differently. Premiere is designed to work with media natively, Avid is not. If you like to work with media natively, use Premiere.

[Benjamin Lundin] "But the MXF files are a pain to have since they take up a HUGE amount of GB on the harddrive. "

Drives are cheap... If you want to archive, get bare SATA drives, 2TB for $200. Then get a SATA dock, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5IN-2-5IN-480MB-Docking-cooling/dp/B001QTW9FS

[Benjamin Lundin] "How do you guys that work with AVID on your home computer deal with this? Can you delete the MXF files and then link to AMA and look at the old projects? "

I have a few external drives, a few internal drives...and a large 8TB Raid 5. And when I archive, I archive like I mentioned.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:09:24 pm

Yeah that's true, but sad enough I have to learn Avid sooner or later since I plan to going on a film school, and I would choose Avid over FCP there.

Yes that is true. I currently have altogether 3TB on my two disks.

I guess after I've read your answer that there is no solution to what I asked for. I will have to think about it then. AMA works for smaller projects, but for the big boys I will probably do it the normal way, or go with Premiere.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2012 at 9:48:42 pm

Or...do what Avid is designed to do best...offline/online. Consolidate to a lower resolution, like DNxHD 36...edit, relink to the master files via AMA...transcode only what is used in the sequence to DNxHD 220x or something, save that.

Use Avid the way it was designed to be used. Working at full res all the time is something FCP and Premiere are about...not Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:04:50 pm

That sound great! That would makes it easier both to edit and to save some space on the harddrive. I will definitely try that out!

Premiere pro isn't bad at all, but I think that it's good getting used to work in avid more and more.

It's a shame that almost no film school here in Sweden uses Premiere pro. It's always Fcp and Avid. Well well, your answer makes a lot of sense and I'll try it! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:36:50 pm

PPro still has a few bugs to work out. Media Management is worse than FCP, and that is saying A LOT. Relinking footage is a nightmare. It's getting there...but not quite up to what we need in the broadcast TV/film world.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:52:59 pm

Yes it definitely has. Another thing is that the trimming could be better. There should be a tool like top/tail (avid) which would make it very easy to trim in some situations. I'm also not a big fan of the trim mode. It should all be done directly on the timeline like in Avid and I think fcp too?

Do you mean relinking in Avid? Can't you do it all at once?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2012 at 12:09:34 am

With Avid and FCP, you can relink with one step. Avid will find the drives and relink...with FCP you can point to a directory and have it relink everything in that directory. PPro...one clip at a time. It doesn't do everything in a relative path. One...clip...at...a...time.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 2, 2012 at 12:23:43 am

[Shane Ross] "PPro...one clip at a time. It doesn't do everything in a relative path. One...clip...at...a...time."

Premiere does better than that. If you move a bunch of stuff and relink one file it will check the rest of that directory for matches to your other media and relink what it can. If your media is from multiple drives/folder you might need to relink one clip from each drive/folder, but it will find other stuff too without having to go on a clip by clip basis. I imagine it uses the same media management as AE, as AE will search a directory for offline media matches once you relink one file.

It's not nearly as good as Avid, obviously, and isn't as smart as FCP (there's not search and relink option - you do have to manually find at least the first file), but it's better than 1 clip at a time, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:03:16 am

It does sound kind of odd that you have to do it one at a time.

I guess I will have to ask my self the same question I do almost every day;

Avid vs. PPro

Avid vs. PPro

Avid vs. PPro

That's in my dreams too.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:51:45 am

[Benjamin Lundin] "I guess I will have to ask my self the same question I do almost every day;

Avid vs. PPro"

Use the one that's best suited for the job you're working on. I only used Avid at my last job, took a job that was all FCP, we're on Premiere now and I'm trying to get an Avid system installed. Premiere is brilliant for our short form work or effects heavy work because of its integration with After Effects.

Avid would be perfect for our longer form stuff or straight editorial. We're making Premiere work for these projects but Avid would be better suited for them. Hopefully we'll have a few seats by mid-year.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 2, 2012 at 9:45:36 am

Michael:

Yes that is true. Avid is a good editor if your doing long work or just normal edits. I can work faster in premiere and I feel that I'm able to experiment more than I can in Avid.

So I guess it's as you say, some jobs fit better for one editor and another job for another one.

I guess being able to work on both programs would be the best choice. Then I can chose between them on different projects.

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:45:43 pm

[Benjamin Lundin] "
I guess I will have to ask my self the same question I do almost every day;

Avid vs. PPro

Avid vs. PPro

Avid vs. PPro
"

this is a very 2005 question (arbitrary ..lol) don't chose one. learn both, and add Lightworks as its open source, free and historic

i would start with Avid. and learn it well. i teach (Avid, FCP, Premiere) in many schools, from what i see, generally, people who start with Avid develop better habits over time. a lot of self taught PPro editors develop very bad habits.

for example, a lot of PPro editors don't use trimming at all in their work (a lot of FCP editors too) and i don't mean trimming as in shortening a clip or lengthening it slightly on the timeline. i refer to the deep process of finding the right cut out of dosens of options, Avid tools, in skilled hands, can offer 20-30 versions of a specific cut in about a minute.
sadly, this fine (relatively young) art of fine tuning cuts is dying with the rise of a new, self taught generation of PPro editors fueled by the flashy promisses of Adobe that PPro is a valid comparison to Avid in pro workflows..

that said, i love PPro, and i use it a lot, for what its good at.

as a film student you are going to learn and develop the skills that will one day help you work in this field. get as many skills as you can, and if you are into post, these skills involve learning softwares and what they are good at.

hector

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:48:53 am

[Michael Hancock] "Premiere does better than that. If you move a bunch of stuff and relink one file it will check the rest of that directory for matches to your other media and relink what it can."

SOmetimes...not most of the time. Most of the time I have to do it manually, almost every clip at a time...sometimes it finds 3-4. Other times, when I chose reconnect, it seemed to take a long time, talking 20 min, and found half of the files.

Mind you, I didn't use this a lot, as this behavior turned me off and I went back to what worked better at the time. I rarely use Premiere, and I tried again when FCX came out...had the same reconnect issue (the 20 min reconnect issue).

Others report similar reconnect problems.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:55:10 am

Thankfully I haven't seen this and I've been using Premiere exclusively for the last two months, but we rarely move files once they're on the server, and when we back projects up we just take the entire folder structure and drop it on a drive. I imagine that minimizes the reconnect dance, and when we do take projects offsite use the Project Manager. That might also help.

I do miss Avid's media management though (and toolset). So simple but so powerful and elegant.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 2, 2012 at 1:23:16 pm

I hope my last post came though? Maybe it takes a while for the admins to read it.

I only have one question about importing the files as DNxHD 36 in to Media Composer. I don't have this option when I go to my bin --> right click --> import and go to options. I only have a few other options.

When you work with DNxHD 36 in Avid, do you compress it in a separate program or in MC itself? Do I need to download a plug in to be able to import it directly as DNxHD 36?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:25:23 pm

Use AMA to bring the clips to a bin. Then Transcode.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Benjamin Lundin
on Mar 3, 2012 at 3:46:14 pm

Thanks! Will definitely try that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]